Disk Utility verification errors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NKT, Jun 28, 2010.

1. NKT macrumors regular

I installed Onyx tonight and it ran the disk verification upon start up and it indicated a problem with the HDD. So I went to Disk Utility and ran the verification from there. It failed with the following:

I googled the issue and think I know what I need to do to fix the problem. My question is: Is this something I should be concerned with on a brand new MBP and should I have it looked at by a Genius? Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have my SL disc. Is there a work around for not having the disc?

Thanks for reading :)

2. ssn637 macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro 13" 2010: I've noted this error quite often when verifying the HDD with Disk Utility, to the point where Im forced to repair the disk with the installation DVD on a weekly basis. Since I've got a SSD installed in the OptiBay with the DVD superdrive removed, my preferred solution was to copy my Snow Leopard installation DVD to a USB Flash drive. If I need to repair the disk, I simply pop the USB drive in and restart while holding the ALT key to access Disk Utility from the installation options.

I would also be interested to know what the culprit might be for this issue. I've got Mac OS X 10.6.4 installed on the HDD and Windows 7 Ultimate on the SSD, and access the HDD via MediaFour MacDrive. I also perform an occasional defrag with Coriolis iDefrag (once after a reinstallation, for example). These are my key suspects, since both interact with the Mac OS X disk, but I haven't been able to pin down the cause yet.

At one point I wasn't even able to repair the disk and was forced to restore the system using Time Capsule, so I'm wary of these errors now and would like to eliminate the root cause. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. NKT thread starter macrumors regular

Well, booting from my SL disc I was able to use Disc Utility to repair the startup drive. Right now I'm putting a copy of my SL disc on a portable drive so I can have it handy.

Next up is getting a good TM backup done. I had been holding out on it until I got to a certain point of configuring my new MBP. Guess I should stop procrastinating :D

Could these disc errors have been caused by installing (and subsequently removing) some programs? Or do they point more towards a hardware issue?

4. CLuv macrumors 6502

I'm seeing the same issue on my fiance's MacBook Pro. She has a 160GB Hitachi HTS545016B9SA02. I've repaired using Target Mode, Install Disc, and the other day I used Drive Genius 3 to do the same thing. That repair last 2 days and then it threw a warning there was integrity issue with the HD and once again the same issue. The drive is passing SMART, no bad sectors, and passed an integrity check. I guess the next step is to buy Disk Warrior unless it's a hardware issue.

What drive do you have in your MacBook? I'm curious to know if it's hardware.

5. NKT thread starter macrumors regular

500gb Hitachi 5400. It's the stock one that came with the laptop.

6. thebrick macrumors regular

thebrick

You can easily fix those problems with '3 Steps' below.

1. Boot into 'Single Mode' (Boot or reboot with press key set 'Command + s')

2. Type 'fsck -fy'

3. Type 'reboot'

7. ssn637 macrumors 6502

That procedure worked just fine. Thanks!