disk utility - why does it suck so bad?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris200x9, Jan 12, 2009.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

why must I use a liveCD everytime I want to repartition my harddrive? Disk utility cannot even REMOVE an ext3 partition, seriously what is the use of disk utility anyways?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you're running Leopard, Disk Utility can repartition the boot drive without a restart, albeit only to a limited extent. Nice rhetorical question, though.

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

How did the ext3 partition get there in the first place. Did Disk Utility add that partition?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's the product of a Linux install, I'm assuming.

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I know that it is, I'm just pointing out that Disk Utility didn't setup that partition and Mac OS X doesn't use ext2/3 so why should a Mac OS X utility need to remove it.

It doesn't deal with ProDOS or Apple DOS partitions either and I see that as a bigger problem because those are products of Apple.

6. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just bringing up a point of contention with the self-proclaimed "most advanced OS ever"

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why should it be required to support any other filesystem other than its own? It's a single OS and utilities, not a general-purpose OS (or filesystem) management tool. It does what it needs to do for the overwhelming majority of users that choose to use it, and more than most of them will ever require.

While what you ask for may be useful to a handful, is it really justifiable for the development effort involved, and the likely costs associated with it?

Or are you just stirring the pot?

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I want to give Disc Utility some credit:

It makes it a snap to burn ISO images.

9. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes I am stirring the pot a little I like GNU/linux MUCH better than OS X but I cannot delete a mounted root partition. I am also asking for help does anyone know of a good free file system manger for mac?

10. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Disk utility doesn't suck that badly since you've chosen to stick a linux install on a mac. Therefor logic would dictate that you should use tools included with linux to deal with the ext3 partition that linux had created in the firstplace.

Simple logic

With regard to the free file system manager for mac... disk utility?

11. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Technically that isn't the "OS" it is a utility. The system will run without it.