Disk utility will not load

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madkat, Nov 27, 2007.

1. madkat macrumors newbie

I recieved powerBook G4 that had OS X 10.3.9 on it, and a load of useless programs that the previous owner used. I loaded up disk utility to burn a dmg of a program .dmg that was on the hard drive. I ran it, it bounced a few times, (three) then disappeared. I took Disk Utility off the Tiger DVD since I can't find Disk utility in the utility folder. I loaded up Burn to burn it, then it said "Can not burn images in Panther" so I'm out luck with it. I tried to burn the images in TransMac, and it won't let me select the CD as startup disk. Granted I'm a total mac noob. I have a blue and white G3 which had a short lived copy of 10.2 and then the drive controller died (it was a rev 1 motherboard).

Thanks Guys ! :apple: :)

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Disc Utility in Tiger is different than in Panther. You need to remove the disc utility from Tiger and reinstall the one from Panther, or install Tiger altogether, which will actually run better on a powerbook G4 than panther anyway.

3. madkat thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to find a copy of Panther laying around, and I copied Disk first aid over, and it says "That application or control panel is not supported by classic" What am I doing wrong here?!

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I don't know, that's very odd. Are you in a classic window when you're trying to run it? It shouldn't matter, really; you've probably got some strange resource files laying around that are conflicting...

The best idea is to just do an archive/install of Panther. This will overwrite the system files only and leave you with a fresh install of the OS along with all your files unharmed. Or you can do the same with Tiger or Leopard (I don't suggest Leopard for your machine, it will lag a bit, but Tiger will run just fine).