Disk Utility won't format or partition external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by natatos, Apr 18, 2010.

1. natatos macrumors regular

The hard drive is a 1TB Western Digital my book I bought it in January I think. I tried to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) when I got it but for some reason every time I try to erase the part thats named disk3s2 or partition the main one it stops a little before half way through. I don't think its the hard drives fault so I called apple about it one day and they helped a little but it didn't work. Thanks in advance if you can help me. Also a few times I waited about seven hours for it while I was at school and when I came home it didn't move.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What if you select the the HDD itself and try it via the partition tab?

Can you post a screenshot of what you actually selected and what it looks like, when it not finishes?

Use either CMD+SHIFT+3/4 (+SPACEBAR) or Applications / Utilities / Grab to do them.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Have you tried to boot from your OS disk (CD / DVD) and after selecting your language, go to the top, clidk 'Tools', 'Disk Utility' and try from outside your installed OS.

Also, have you repaired Disk Permissions on your OS?

What version of OS X are you running?

What's the current format of the drive?

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'm having the exact same problem, and would be incredibly appreciative of any help that can be offered. I have an external that will not partition, will not erase, etc. Nothing happens... after I click go, it just sits there and tries to 'unmount the disk'...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, after it does that for a few minutes, I get this error message, regardless of whether I'm trying to partition or erase:

[​IMG]

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

That did the trick, man! All I had to do was hook it up as Firewire Drive instead of USB. Lame, I can't believe it was that simple. Seems like kind of a quirky problem considering it worked fine as a USB drive earlier!

Anyway, thanks!