Disk Utility won't open on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srobsrobusa, Dec 14, 2008.

1. srobsrobusa macrumors newbie

For some time now, Disk Utility simply won't open on my MacBook Pro. Actually, it opens and closes in less than a second. There is no error message. Everything else on my machine runs fine, other utilities like Cocktail etc. don't report errors. Very vexing. Any similar experiences or fixes?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Could it be corrupted? Open /users/yourusername/library/logs/crashreporter and see if that shows anything.

3. srobsrobusa thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently not, thanks for the suggestion though. Any other ideas?

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Do you have a retail copy of what ever OS X version you're using? If so, use that (gray disks work). Reboot your computer with the disk in the drive holding the c key. You're not reinstalling the operating system, rather accessing disk utility. More info here. I'd suggest reading the article from top to bottom and try out the safe boot method and single-user and see if you can open Disk Utility. Also, run the disk utility off your dvd.
    Try Disk Utility
    Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
    When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
    Click the First Aid tab.
    Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
    Select your Mac OS X volume.
    Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Could be a corrupt preferences file. This is in ~/Library/Preferences and is called com.apple.diskutility.plist. Try moving this file elsewhere, then relaunch Disk Utility. ~ is your home folder.

6. jfletcher macrumors newbie

Disc utility and system profiler won't open

I'm having the same problem. Disc Utility and System profiler neither one seem to be working. I've tried first aid from a boot disc, cleared old caches with yasu and even run disc warrior, still with no success. Related to the previous post, I don't seem to even have the preferences file for disc utility, though neither disc utility run from the boot disc, nor disc warrior recognized this as a problem. Another possibly related problem I'm having is that programs such as iDVD won't burn DVDs, though they will encode and create disc images. I've even looked into a potential font problem, but haven't had any luck finding conflicts with required fonts. Any help???

7. joey141 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I had the same problem and did this and it worked. What do I do now? Do I move that file to the trash or will I have to move it back eventually?

Joe.

8. spam0000 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have this exact problem now but there is no preference file to move in ~/Library/Preferences and there is no crash report...

any suggestions?

9. ThoseAppleGuys macrumors newbie

Golden work wrldwzrd89. Thanks for the sweet sweet reminder that plists suck.

10. DaKyd55 macrumors member

disk utility stopped working

for no reason my disk utility stopped working. my software is up to date. i try to open it and it gives me an error report and closes. why? how do i fix this?

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Did you try the suggestion in post #5?

12. Kprojdj macrumors newbie

Kprojdj

What if (as I've just discovered) "com.apple.diskutility.plist." can't be found in that folder?

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are you running OS X El Capitan? The solution I gave doesn't apply to that OS.

14. Kprojdj macrumors newbie

Kprojdj

Nope Yoshmite..
    I use my Mac for DJing & as yet El Capt isn't supporting my software/hardware so can't update

15. Kprojdj, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

Kprojdj macrumors newbie

Kprojdj

presently trying out this...
    its presently re indexing my drive!!

____

<EDIT>
    It doesn't appear to have worked

Attached Files: