Disk utility won't recognize my HD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Akhanijow, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Akhanijow macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I installed a new Hitachi 500GB travelstar drive and restored it with all my data. Everything was working fine until I updated the EFI firmware to 1.7. After doing this, my MacBook pro won't even recognize the drive in disk utility. I even tried the old drive, and that didn't show up either. However, when I plugged the drive into a sata to USB connector, it would boot fine. Is there any way to fix this?
    I have a unibody MacBook pro (5,5)
    Thanks for any help, this whole process has been a nightmare!

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I found this thread Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7 Problems where the OP discovered that the hard drive was not compatible with the update (see last post in thread). However, this does not explain why you cannot get your MBP to work with the original hard drive.

Someone pointed out in another MacRumors thread that a post by "dave2412" on page 3 of the Apple Support Communities' thread Firmware update and SATA II hard drive worked for them. I think you should check this one out, since dave2412 had a similar experience with plugging the drive in with an external enclosure (like your sata to usb connector).

3. Akhanijow thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, I just tried that and cant get it to work. Any other ideas? I dont know if theres even anywhere I can take it to get fixed. Do you know of a way to restore everything to factory settings (including the firmware)?

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

You can search for a thread talking about rolling the firmware back, it looked complex. I've also read threads about Apple Geniuses either claiming it wasn't possible or not knowing if it was possible to roll back firmware without replacing the logic board.

So, you couldn't get Disk Utilities to repair the disk with it plugged in with your sata to usb connector?