Disk Utility Won't Reformat Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swwack91, Jul 23, 2009.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I need to reformat a drive from FAT32 to Mac OS Extended. Disk Utility won't do it because it says that there's a "filesystem error".

Is there another program that will reformat it? I need to get this drive formattted and in use! :confused:

2. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i can successfully take the drive and reformat it back to FAT32 and it works just fine. but when i try to get it to Mac OS Extended, it errors out and goes back to being an "unrecognizable disc"

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

are you trying to reformat the entire drive or just the partition? I think you have to be addressing the entire drive to change it to osx extended.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i think to reformat the way you want, you have to use the install disk and go from there. I could be wrong, but i tried to reformat yesterday, but it will not let me do it without the install disk.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

You only need disk utility from the install disk if you're going to reformat the boot drive.

7. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Listen to Bob - I had the same issue until I figured it out. In Disk Utility, highlight the target drive on the left, then click Partitions on the right. Then click "Options" and select GUID (I think it's the first choice), then create your partition. Should work fine at that point.

JP

8. HBOC macrumors 68020