Disk Utility's Disappearing Act?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joshuanason, Aug 26, 2012.

1. joshuanason macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'd like to first thank you for taking the time to read about my issue. I visit this forum frequently for the wealth of knowledge possessed by the folks on here, so I figured I'd finally sign up and bring my problem to you all. I think this is the right section to post this, but please excuse me if I stand corrected.

I have a 750 GB WD My Passort External HD that I run on my Macbook Pro running OS 10.6.8. I've had no problems with the drive in the past until yesterday. I had saved a file to the drive that I no longer wished to save so I tried deleting it. For some reason, the file wouldn't delete so I figured the file was corrupted in some way. I opened Disk Utility and ran the "Verify Disk" feature to see if it could solve the corrupted file and within seconds, all of my files disappeared from the drive.

Initially, I thought Disk Utility completely erased them from the drive, but when I check the drive's specs, it states that there are only 91.36 GB free out of 749.45 GB. So it appears that my files are still there since the space they occupied before is still in use. When I open a Finder window, "My Passport" appears on the sidebar but once clicked, no files are visible at all.

Does anybody know how i could go about retrieving these 600+ GBs of missing work?

I appreciate your help!
    Josh

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Holy cow!

First of all, files shouldn't have disappeared from running a Disk Verify. Could you have perhaps run a Disk Repair instead?

Even then, this shouldn't have happened. Have you tried simply rebooting to see if it resolved itself?

When you ran Disk Verify/Disk Repair, what did it report back? Did it find any problems?

This is a little premature, because I'm going off of limited input, but you may want to invest in a copy of Disk Warrior, which is a utility for correcting disk directory data that many swear by. We'll see what other people say, but I think I would try rebooting and running a Disk Repair, should the problem still exist.

Please report back on how things go. Good luck!

3. joshuanason thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply!

That's what I had thought too because I have used both the verify and repair disk features in disk utility before without any issue. I don't understand how or why verify would affect my files in that way but, lo and behold, it played a massive trick on me indeed.

Praise God I got all of my files back though! I had done what you suggested the same night this happened (running a disk repair), but that was in vain. There must've been just something weird happening in my computer/HD that night because I simply ran a disk repair for the heck of it the next night and it restored all of my files completely intact.

Thank you!

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Something doesn't sound quite right there, but I'm glad you got your files back.

Also, perhaps you already do this but remember to always eject the drive (right click on its icon and select "eject") before powering off the USB drive -- don't just shut it down or yank the USB cable out of it. Powering down the computer without ejecting it is fine, but you always want to make sure that OS X knows you're done with an external drive before you remove it.