Disk utilty's Concatenated disks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steviem, Jul 30, 2010.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I currently have a 1TB and a 500GB disk as a concatenated disk on my computer.

My iTunes library is stored on there and it sometimes takes a second or so to load up my library.

As my library is fast approaching 1TB, what would be my best course of action?

The Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is on ebuyer for £47 at the moment, which is a pretty nice price. Should I give up on Apple's software solution and look for a raid card that will give me RAID-0 for two 1TB disks?

What would give the best performance? I can't afford a Drobo and don't want anything plugged in externally if possible.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

First, I'm not a fan of what you are doing b/c if one of the drives fail you lose your data. Concatenated drives aren't truly a RAID. As you are essentially using 2 disks as 1 large disk, you double you failure risk. The newer hybrid HD drives with the larger caches seem to be the best option, performance wise. If you choose to truly RAID, you need to assure mirroring backup to protect valuable data.

3. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

I'm not running a business critical system, so I'll only lose what I've not backed up if a disk dies on me. I have an external disk which I backup to weekly or on a day that I've added stuff to my iTunes library. Mirroring shouldn't be used as a backup strategy.

What I like about the 1TB F3 is it only uses 2 platters and spins at 7200rpm, so in theory should be faster than what I already have.