Disk Verification

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigandy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've just bought a new 750Gb external drive, and it's making some 'different' noises - noises I've never heard come from my raft of other external disks.

Is there any Mac software that will exhaustively check *each and every sector* and verify that a disk is ok (not the half-arsed check that Disk Utility does)? I seem to remember there were a few such applications for Windows, back in the days before I switched, but as it's HFS+ formatted, they'll be pretty useless.

Ta. :)

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You can use Disk Utility, Located in Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. You can use this tool to verify disk and repair if necessary.

Sorry about the post I didn't see the post where you already tried Disk Utility.

I'm looking into it for you.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Do you have a PC, or one that you can borrow?

If so, then you can connect your external HD to it and then use SpinRite to check out the drive.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Does SpinRight have the ability to read HFS+ formated disk?

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

AFAIK, it reads everything (all formats).

To be more specific, I've used it on FAT32, NTFS and HFS+. Works great.

Go here.

Unfortunately, you cannot run it on the Mac OS. SpinRite boots from a floppy disc or CD via FreeDOS. And then runs within that environment.

I have recovered HFS+ and FAT32 disks were no other software would work, Mac or PC. Well worth the purchase price IMHO for your HD needs. I have a PC, so it is just a matter of attaching whatever HD needs to be repaired/fixed/recovered.

It can take time -- especially for large hard drives.

Edit: From the GRC web site: