Disk verify freezes the system..?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phantom3334, Aug 15, 2009.

1. phantom3334 macrumors newbie

macbook pro doesn't seem very well today, I used verifying disk but it caused the system to freeze for about 30 s. it made a brief freeze when I used it before but nothing this scary, the machine is new, system doesn't have much, the usual stuff expect GIMP maybe.

anybody got any idea why Disk verify freezes my system ?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Disk Verify (and Verify Permissions) are pretty badly written in that they usually cause Disk Utility (and possibly the whole system) to become unresponsive while some of the checks are carried out.

Repair Disk Permissions only ever shows its progress after its finished for me.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I agree that verify and repair permissions has been pretty lacking in the area of performance on 10.5. It's annoying, but not a big deal.

4. celticpride678

On my MacBook (late 2008), Disk Verify freezes from when I click "Verify Disk". There is nothing you can do about it. Looks normal.

5. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for reassurance. I thought like: is it becoming slow already, I only downloaded GIMP and DivX last week.
    I also thought that it becomes unresponsive on start up, just a little unresponsive, then discovered that this mainly happens to safari, I get the spinning beach balls for about 5 seconds or something. it's not a real big deal but bugs me because the machine is new.

6. celticpride678

For those issues, I found that cleaning caches using Onyx and actually removing DivX fixes it. DivX was the cause of threee kernel panics. Not one since removing it. Not too many use DivX anymore , anyways. If you want more help, post a new thread and PM me the link and I can help.

7. mrj412 macrumors regular

In order to run Disk Verify on your system disk, the OS cannot be making changes to the disk. This will of course result in a pause of the system while the verify is running. As you have more data in your disk it will take longer to run the verify.

8. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

thnx. I kinda thought that DivX caused this too, will VLC make a good alternative ?

Yeah. that's what I thought about the first time. that OS is checking my components so it can't make changes to it and run verifying process at the same time.

thnx for your time .. :)

9. larkost macrumors 6502a

As mrj412 indicated, while disk utility is working on the drive it is taken off-line. So anything that would need to use it will simply hang until the disk is put back on line. This is not badly written, but rather part of what has to happen.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This simply isn't true.

It doesn't always make things hang and "Verify Disk Permissions" is just as bad.

There's no need for it to hang, it simply doesn't bother to tell the user what is happening at any stage.