Disk verify not working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foreverandalway, Dec 28, 2010.

1. foreverandalway macrumors member

So Onyx won't work on my Mac every time I open it, it says Onyx quit unexpectedly.

I was told to try and repair the disk using disk utility.

I opened it and hit verify disk. After about 5 minutes and it said "invalid node structure" "volume check failed" and "error: filesystem verify or repair failed"

Why is that happening?

[I've been having a few little problems with my Mac and I feel like if I can repair the disk then it might help some of the problems.]

2. brandon.8602 macrumors member

From my experience, it seems like there is an error in your disk.
    How long have you had your computer? And how long has it been since the last verification/repair?

3. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

I've had my computer for about two years.

I can't remember the last time I used Disk Utility. I used Onyx this September and just had it do everything.

4. brandon.8602 macrumors member

Yeah, it's probably an error that's gone unnoticed. It's happened to me before, I struggled with it until I finally gave up, backed up my data and did a full reinstall. (I was going for a partition that couldn't be done because of an error on my disk)

5. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

What do you suggest I do to fix it?

It first started with me getting an error while trying to burn a DVD so I was told to open Onyx and do a disk repair and it'd fix it and I got the Onyx error.

I looked online and found that I needed to repair the disk to fix the Onyx error and that's when I got the disk error.

6. brandon.8602 macrumors member

So, just for clarification, you have or have not inserted the Leopard disk and attempted a disk repair on Disk Utility?

If not that's what I would recommend.

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Did you try repairing the disk from the install dvd? Or just thru disk utility?

I'd suggest starting up from the DVD (insert dvd and hold C while you restart)... from there I would run disk utility... see if you get a diff. result.

8. brandon.8602 macrumors member

Yup, thats what I would suggest if you have tried the former.

If that doesn't work you're possibly looking at a clean install if using Onyx is worth the trouble.

9. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

Just through disk utility.

When you say starting up from the DVD do you mean any DVD?

I'm not sure if I even got any disks with my MBP.

10. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

Ok.

Using Onyx isn't worth the trouble of doing a whole clean install thing.

I just wanna be able to burn things onto DVD.

11. brandon.8602 macrumors member

Hmm... you should have. It would've come in a package with a small manual. If you're on Leopard (which seeing as your MBP is 2 years old it would have) then you'll have 2 disks. Pop in the disk, shut-er-down and restart holding the option key. chose the Leopard install disk. It'll start up Leopard. Run disk utility verify and repair. hope for the best!

12. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

Now that I think about it I probably did get a disk.

I don't need to back anything up do I?

13. brandon.8602 macrumors member

No, but you can never be too safe! :)

14. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks.

What disk is it? I went into the box my Mac came in and only found iWorks and the protection plan thingy.

15. brandon.8602 macrumors member

16. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Just note that when you do that, it'll drop you back down to the base OSX version. My old 2007 MBP was tiger... so I had to reload tiger, then install leopard, then install snow leopard. Kind of a pain.

17. foreverandalway thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your help!

I can't find the disk though. I checked the box it came in and only my protection plan and iworks were there. I know I wouldn't have put the disk anywhere else.

I also checked my sisters box her MBP came in and there was nothing.

I might just do a clean out of all the files on my computer that I've downloaded over the past like 2 months.