Disk Warrior 4.2 - usable under Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nostromo, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I have Disk Warrior 4.

The operating System on the disk is Tiger.

But I'm now on Snow Leopard.

I need to rebuild my directory as my wacom tablet stopped functioning (no clicking and tracing possible, highlights everything, sticks to links, etc. - I had this once and fixed it using Disk Warrior).

Is there a way to still use this copy of Disk Warrior? There's an upgrade available, but it doesn't include Snow Leopard, which is necessary to repair your main disk - you computer boots from the disk in your drive.

PS: Could I still boot using the Snow Leopard disk, and then scanning my main drive by using an installation of Disk Warrior on an external hard drive?

edit: I just got a call from Alsoft support. The update you can get as a registered user updates the current disc. There is a bare bones OS on there that allows the computer to start up. Instructions on how to update the disc come with the update file.

2. Riverrun macrumors regular

I'm using Snow leopard. I bought DW while I was still on Tiger. The DW disk will not startup on my new iMac or on my Macbook Pro.

Is there a way around this?

Fortunately, there is.

Upgrade to DW 4.2 and burn to disk, CD R, DVD or whatever

Install 4.2 in your Applications or Utility folder, wherever DW currently resides

Create a bootable clone of your OS with CCC (free) or better still, SuperDuper on an external drive

Start from the clone by holding down the alt/option key at startup and selecting the external drive

Enter your password as normal

Use 4.2 to rebuild your directory

If it's badly fragmented you may have to hold the alt key, watch the Rebuild button change, select scavenge and away you go.

3. fayskelley macrumors newbie

fayskelley

That just sounds so complicated ...

the last time I ran Disk Warrior (have not upgraded since I went to Snow Leopard) I just put the Disk Warrior disk in and followed the directions and it ran fine ....

why all the extra procedures?

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

The OP should read the DW support page, http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html should answer that question.
    Due to Apple's policies, Alsoft can never keep up with the latest OS sytem needed to Boot the latest machines from a DVD.
    Just buy the upgrade and use the method posted above for using an external HD. Even running from a USB 2 HD will be fast than booting from the DVD (which takes forever).
    The latest version 4.2 can be used booting from the latest SL system, and can be run on a disk with SL installed. The only limitation is on the machines that can be booted from the latest version of the DVD issued by Alsoft.