Disk Warrior 4 cannot replace my startup disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by D.B, Feb 18, 2009.

1. D.B macrumors newbie

Could anyone tell me what my options are at this point?

Yesterday I switched on my macbook (Leopard) and got the flashing question mark. Ran all the resets and booted with disk utility which encountered an 'Invalid B-tree Node' when attempting to repair the disk. Additionally, the SMART status was verified.

I ran DW 4 last night, and performed the hardware tests which reported that the disk was operating like normal. The majority of my media files and additional work is backed up to my Time Capsule but I still have a folder of papers that are relatively new, and wanted to retrieve. While DW managed to reconstruct the majority of my drive (there seemed to be 15g missing - but it's just music files) including this folder, it couldn't replace the disk, as it encountered 'Serious Disk Malfunctions'.

So, via the Disk Preview I want to transfer my saved folders to my TC, but I don't appear to be able to locate it (via ethernet) through DW - even if it's connected when I boot up in DW.

So, first request is: Can I connect to my TC to transfer across in DW's preview?

Second is: What are my options if DW can't replace? Do I need to take it into Apple and get a new HD (it's out of warranty)? It's possibly worth noting that I'm a student and have absolutely no money - so cost effective options are a bonus!

Thanks

D

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't think this is possible.

I'm not convinced your drive has failed.

I would trying reinitializing it from the system disk (obviously, this will erase your data). Then try reinstalling the OS and see how it goes.

If you need to back things up, depending on what model you have and if you have access to another Mac, you may try target disk mode.