Disk Warrior - Like solution for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyapple, Mar 22, 2013.

1. heyapple macrumors newbie

heyapple

I own a trusty Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 and an even trustier CD with Disk Warrior on it.

It de-fragments the disk and has helped me out immensely.

I've just purchased a rMBP 2.4GHz Quad-core i7 with 16GB and 256GB Flash.

Can this be booted from an external superdrive or flash stick with such a useful utility as Disk Warrior.

Not that I'm having trouble but what is the solution if such a machine starts playing up? I've found that the on-board disk utility has its limits.

Cheers

2. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

You don't need it for an SSD, if you have trouble with the drive it may likely be a TRIM issue usually leaving it for a lengthy time at the boot screen is sufficient to do garbage collection and thus restore performance.

Also consider third party apps as possible system causes then Activity Monitor can usually diagnose these issues.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

DiskWarrior is used to address filesystem level problems. Has nothing to do with SSD vs HDD. Both are vulnerable to filesystem corruption due to OS bugs and the like. Defragmenting a SSD is pretty useless though.

As for the OP's question, you can boot Intel Macs off USB going back pretty much to 2005. And I believe there are newer versions of DiskWarrior available you can create a bootable USB drive with. Worst case, you can install a small copy of OS X onto a USB drive, and throw a modern copy of DiskWarrior and any other tools you want onto it. It's what I have.

4. heyapple thread starter macrumors newbie

heyapple

Thanks for the info. My OS came pre-installed. Would it be a case of acquiring an OS disk, putting it into the super drive and installing it to a USB drive from there?

Or is there another way?

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Disk Warrior does not "de-fragment" a disk, it optimizes the directory as part of its file-system repair procedure. Run the directory graphing utility included in DW to see what is happening, or see Alsoft's HP, http://www.alsoft.com/ for the real info.
    Actually an external HD combined with Carbon Copy Cloner is a much faster solution, but since you mentioned it, get a 16GB USB stick, install OS X on it, add DW and/or other utilities and use that to keep the file system on your MBP healthy. :cool:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can't get/buy Mountain Lion on a disk of any kind. It can only be downloaded. You can then use that downloaded file to make yourself a bootable USB installer like Krevnik mentioned.

Follow this process to snag the installer image from Apple's servers. Then use this free app and a 8GB USB key to make the installer.

Or, if you don't want to fuss with that, your can use this tool/app from Apple and a 1GB USB key to make a bootable recovery disk. It won't have the full installer on it, but you can boot to it to troubleshoot and run Disk Utility.

7. heyapple thread starter macrumors newbie

heyapple