Diskless nodes?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by 76ShovelHead, Sep 30, 2011.

1. 76ShovelHead, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

My old school used to have it where you could sit down at any eMac throughout the building and login. I later found this is called a diskless node. With my Mom's recent hardware failure in her Compaq, I was wondering, how can I repurpose my iMac G3, eMac, or any other computer to be a diskless node to my much more powerful mackintosh?

EDIT:

I guess what I want to do is something like ScreenRecycler, but instead of using an [iMac G3 or whatever else] as an extended display, using it as the main display over my homes network. It may not be as permanent as a diskless node, however I think it will have better compatibility because you can't net boot OS X Lion from an iMac G3.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Well, if you could netboot that system that would be the easiest way. Perhaps you would be better served setting up a Snow Leopard net boot server?

3. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I played around with Screen Recycler. Surprised how nice it was, but even with JollyFastVNC and how my computers are sharing the same router through ethernet, the graphics were glitchy.

I always wanted to do a "diskless node" (net boot) configuration, like where I could sign into the kitchen or living room computer, and my bedroom computer. Would be pretty sweet. I read up on how you need OS X server, and by all means its not something the typical computer user can do. It requires making a network drive, which struck earlier today that even though its a diskless node, its still [booting] a network drive therefore the node must be able to run the net drive. So that rules out using an iMac G3 or my eMac for an Intel OS X Lion host computer.

To conclude things, I noticed an option in ScreenRecycler where you can turn on mirroring. This is really what I wanted, just better performance. Being that it's on the network I can store the hackintosh tower say in a closet or cabinet, and then have the monitor be mirrored onto my eMac. Also creating the illusion that my eMac is running Lion with a substantially better processor, more ram for sure, and capabilities of the new Intel macs. I just wish we could perfect the connection.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't need netbook. You can run / sync user folder off the network.