Disks Showing Up As Wrong File System

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattyu007, Nov 9, 2010.

1. mattyu007 macrumors member

mattyu007

My MacBook internal hard disk is currently partitioned into Snow Leopard (JHFS+), Storage (NTFS), and Windows 7 (NTFS).

Whenever I try to mount my storage partition, it shows up as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" in Disk Utility, and refuses to mount. My Windows 7 partition, which is also NTFS, mounts automatically when I log in. Is there a way to perhaps force my storage partition to mount as an NTFS-formatted drive? This problem only exists when using OS X though, as it shows up fine on both Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7.

I also have an external hard drive which is partitioned (using MBR) as Storage (FAT32), Backup (NTFS) and Mac Storage (JHFS+). It all mounts properly, with the exception of Mac Storage, which shows up, curiously enough, as an NTFS drive in Disk Utility. Same question as above: Is there a way to force it to mount as a JHFS+ drive?

(I'm using Tuxera NTFS 2010.10, if that makes any difference)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. You assert that you have an NTFS partition that mounts as HFS+ Journaled. You also assert that you have an external HFS+ Journaled partition that mounts as NTFS. Nonsense on both accounts. A volume formatted as one file system will not mount as another. You cannot force it to do so. The partitions that you assert are mounting improperly are mounting properly if they are not severely damaged. The problem is that you did not format the partitions as you intended. If their formats are important to you, then my suggestion is to archive the files on each problematic partition and then reformat them. Disk Utility should be able to reformat each of your problematic partitions.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The way I'm reading it, in both cases the misreported partitions are not being mounted, just reported that way by Disk Utility.

OP, I suggest that you disable Tuxera NTFS and see whether anything changes.

4. mattyu007, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

mattyu007 thread starter macrumors member

mattyu007

Just to clear things up a little, I will include various screenshots with Tuxera NTFS disabled, showing that it is indeed recognized improperly by OS X. I don't really believe this is happening either, so I know how strange and false it sounds to you..

My problem is not the format of the drives (since MacDrive and Tuxera basically take care of that), but the data on the drives, since it is a full TM backup of my hd before it decided to die on me.

That would be correct.

Nothing has changed much, although it is a little strange that the drive which is supposed to he JHFS+ still shows up with Tuxera...

Here is the NTFS partition that shows up as a JHFS+:
    [​IMG]

Here is the JHFS+ that shows up as NTFS (even with Tuxera disabled, after restarting computer)
    [​IMG]

Just a little screenshot to show that Tuxera is indeed disabled
    [​IMG]

How it is supposed to look (How it looks in Windows, all drives mounted)
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

5. mattyu007 thread starter macrumors member

mattyu007

Sorry for double-posting, but here is something new:

[​IMG]
    Drive Genius says that it is indeed "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", but the Content Hint and Content both indicate "Windows_NTFS"... Would it be possible to just tweak that little settings to "Apple_HFS" via Sector Edit?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I use neither MacDrive nor Tuxera NTFS. I use Tuxera's free NTFS-3G driver in conjunction with Disk Utility on the Mac and the built-in formatting utility in Windows. Let me state in no uncertain terms that MacDrive and Tuxera can no more "take care" of your formatting tasks than a hammer can "take care" of a nail. These are tools that you must use properly. They don't use themselves.

Let us get something else straight. Your problem is not the formats of your drives; your problems are the formats of your partitions. The major cause of your problems appears to be that you appear to be throwing too many different tools at your drives.

In my experience, I find that Windows's tools are good only for very simple cases and for removing partitions that were created and locked in Windows.

Disk Utility can use the NTFS-3G [or, I presume, the Tuxera NTFS] driver to format your partitions. My suggestion to you is to use Disk Utility on your Mac to format all of your partitions. I have no problems using NTFS partitions created on any of my Macs when moved to a Windows machine. However, my Windows-created partitions can be problematic if they are not FAT32.

7. mattyu007 thread starter macrumors member

mattyu007

I guess what I meant to say was that I don't use either of those tools for doing any formatting work, and that the particular filesystem that the drives were in didn't really matter since I could have read/write access to them via Tuxera and/or MacDrive. (Format (v) and format (n). Don't we love English?)

FAT32 :D. If only 7 could boot from FAT32... Oh well.. In any case, I guess I'll just have to find a place to dump all this data and reformat using Disk Utility :/