DiskWarrior 4.0 Problem: "Original directory was too severely damaged"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by masemase, Jun 26, 2007.

1. masemase macrumors newbie

First, I thank you all in advance for reading my post and trying to help me with my problem.

I am running a barely 4-month old MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM and recently purchased DiskWarrior 4.0 to fix a sometimes sluggish and quirky hard drive; however, when first trying to rebuild my drive, I received the following error message:

"The new directory cannot replace the original directory because the original directory was too severely damaged."

Failing to figure out how to boot Disk Warrior from the CD, I installed it on my External Hard Drive (Western Digital 500GB My Book Essential External Hard Drive (USB 2.0)), backed up the entire drive with Super Duper, and then booted up from my bootable back-up to run Diskwarrior. But, after the rebuilding process, I receive the aforementioned error message and am unable to press the “REPLACE” button to allow the program to write over my old hard drive.

The .PDF file of the "details" of the rebuilding lists quite a bit of problems, but, having looked over them, I believe that almost all of them point to individual photo files, which is possibly telling the program that I have more serious problems than I really do. At the same time, I do not really know.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what the problem is? Or do I really need to wipe my whole hard drive, even though my computer is less than 4 months old?

I would appreciate any and all help or suggestions with my problem and, again, thank you in advance for your consideration.

Brandon

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

At this point, I'd recommend just wiping the drive, recloning, and attempting to boot from it. It's the safest option - after all, you have a bootable backup, and you won't lose any data.

As for what, exactly, your problem is, you've encountered filesystem damage that even DiskWarrior cannot fix. I'm not sure what caused it, but two things that can cause filesystem damage are sudden power loss (for instance, having both the power adapter and battery disconnected, and performing a "hard shutdown" (by holding down the power button) while the disk is in use.