Diskwarrior EFI MBP2015

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bcburrows, Feb 3, 2015.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Purchased Diskwarrior 5 as have used previous versions and have found it very helpful.
    I have recently purchased a new mac - MBP 2015
    Tried to use diskwarrior today and it states to insert the usb, hold down control-R and all I see is a padlock.

Any thoughts what to do ?
    Heard I might need to take the MBP to apple for the password? Why have they done this, what is the benefit, and is there any other way I can use disk warrior?

Thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That padlock that you describe sounds like you have a firmware password.
    That has nothing to do with DiskWarrior.
    Just type in the password that you used when you enabled the firmware password.
    The firmware password is not enabled by default. It's something that you would have done, and is not a step that you might have accidentally chosen during the initial setup of your new MBPro.
    (Or, someone else that can use your MBPro has enabled the firmware password without your knowledge, maybe as a prank - and not a good prank!)

So, just type in the firmware password that you used, you can continue with the boot to Diskwarrior.
    If you don't remember the password that you used, you have to contact Apple, or take to an Apple store. A "genius" will be able to clear that for you. There's no alternative if you forget the password.

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I have not set a firmware password, and no one else has touched the mac.

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

I found this at DW support page.

• Includes the new DiskWarrior Recovery Maker
    New Macs have new OS X startup requirements. DiskWarrior Recovery Maker updates your DiskWarrior Recovery flash drive with the latest OS X.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Boot to your Recovery system (Restart, holding Command-R, not Control-R)
    If you then see the screen which shows a blank password box, with a padlock icon (and nothing else) - then you do have the firmware password set.
    Despite that, did you try whatever password that you may have used?
    Could just be a function of Diskwarrior, something that you do at first launch.