Diskwarrior error -9997, should I be afraid?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blaqhole, May 10, 2010.

1. blaqhole macrumors newbie

Hi all. I got this error from Diskwarrior and am wondering what the deal is?
    Here are the details:

My 80GB hard drive crashed and burned on my Macbook Pro Dual 1.83 running 10.5.8. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive before it went totally kaput and then cloned it back onto a new drive that I installed into the MBP. Upon running Diskwarrior 3.3 on the new clone in the MBP to look at permissions, I got error -9997. Do you know what that error indicates?

Googling it tells me that, if you get that error in 10.3 or 10.4 via Disk Utility (not DW) then you are missing a basesystem.pkg file. See:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2023?viewlocale=en_US

Looking back on the original clone, this file doesn't exist where the KB thread says it should so I'm assuming 10.5.8 doesn't use the same file in the same place.

I ran disk utility on the drive to look at permissions and other than a few corrected permissions, it didn't say there were any other errors. So, which do I trus, disk utility or DW? Is this just a disconnect between the old DW 3.3 and 10.5.8 (I mean the old DW not reading 10.5 correctly for some reason) ? Or do I need to do a clean install from the systems disk (something I really don't want to do if possible)?

I've working on the computer now and things seem to be fine so just want to know how serious this error message is.

Please help if you have any insight or experience.

Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Given that DiskWarrior 3 was last updated before 10.5 even shipped, I'm pretty confident that the error it's reporting is because of an OS version incompatibility, not that there's something wrong. Verified by the fact that Apple's own tool says it's fine--I'm always inclined to trust Disk Utility when it comes to permissions repair.

I'm actually a little surprised DW doesn't outright refuse to run on a 10.5.x disk--most disk utilities I'm familiar with realize that they may not be compatible with newer OS versions and stop you before they even start.

3. blaqhole thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the vote of confidence. That's what I'm going to assume aswell. As of now, no problems running the new cloned HD. Will update if anything goes awry.