Diskwarrior essential?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imanidiot, Dec 29, 2011.

1. imanidiot Suspended

Sorry, but I'm so Mac-ignorant that until today I had never heard of Diskwarrior. I've not experienced disk-related problems thus far (I'm on my first Mac, iMac from Aug. 2010 just after the refresh), but I have had them on every other computer I've ever owned, all PCs. Would you describe it as something ever Mac-owner should have handy, just in case?

Thanks and sorry if this is redundant.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It has saved a few drives I've had in the past, as has Tech Tool.

But not essential. It's better, IMHO, to have a good backup (even if you do have a recovery utility). If your boot drive gets hosed you just reformat using Disk Utility and then migrate your stuff back over from your backup. If your drive really goes kaput, it may be hardware related, and DW won't fix that.

Rob

3. popnfresh macrumors newbie

it's essential

I'm the IT manager of my company and Discwarrior is the one drive utility I use more than any other. What it's good for is repairing hard drive directory problems. It will not rescue a drive that is failing due to any hardware issues. But all Mac drives tend to accumulate directory errors over time in normal use. These are not usually serious enough to corrupt files, but they can cause your Mac to exhibit some frustrating behavior, like applications hanging or quitting suddenly or just generally running slowly. Discwarrior, along with Onyx and Tinkertool are the three tools I keep in my Mac doctor's "kit bag".

4. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Thanks for the replies.
    I think that for the time being I'll hang on to the $100;)