Diskwarrior fails rebuild, now volume is gone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by catskillcrisis, May 12, 2011.

  1. catskillcrisis macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    #1
    Hello,

    I'm working for an older gentleman doing video editing and general mac maintenance freelance. I'm no stranger to disk maintenance, and have used diskwarrior hundreds of times on my own ppc G5/Tiger.11. The client has an imac intel running 10.5.8 and it has diskwarrior 4.1 installed. He is nearly computer illiterate so I try to keep his system clean and his drive's maintained from time to time as I know noone else is. Unfortunately, tonight I started up diskwarrior, and ran it on the main external media drive we've been using. It got to step 10, rebuilding the optimized directory, and the computer started to beachball. My gut instinct was to wait it out, and sure enough, after about 20 minutes, I got an error message that said rebuild was unsuccessful, and that I should rebuild it again, and preview it, which I have done before, to attempt to save all the data (which obviously wasn't backed up even though i have been stressing the importance of getting a raid to back up all this video). Well, in the process of getting another beachball during the error message, I had to wait again. By the time I was able to click OK to the error message and attempt the rebuild, the message on diskwarrior's main window had changed, telling me the drive was completely unable to rebuild, never giving me a chance to preview the volume's temporary image to save the data.

    The whole machine was dragging as I know that once something goes wrong with a drive, it most likely is going to be your last chance to get anything, and not to turn anything off, so I left with his computer still running and the drive still on, and am now forced to come up with a solution pronto.

    It's one of those Green Fantom drives, and it is relatively new (maybe a year with light usage), and seemed to be fine, wasn't making any funny noises or clicks, in fact there's an identical drive right next to it and they both sound like they are functioning totally normal.

    So, now it appears that the volume/file directory has been lost by these events. As I said, it's all still running, but now the drive shows up in Diskwarrior as "Unknown Drive", so apparently, the computer is still recognizing it.

    I know this is a stretch, but is there any possible way to get the volume back with the file directory at this point, or am I going to have to get into data recovery?

    Does diskwarrior completely wipe out the volume it is rebuilding during the process of rebuilding if something like this is to happen (like is there a safety image anywhere I can access)? The beachballing seemed to screw me on the last-ditch attempt at seeing the volume and it's data with the preview option.


    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already started checking out Disk Drill and Data Rescue and welcome any advice on those as well as I think I may be up the brown creek.

    Thank you in advance.
     
  2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #2
    I also use Diskwarrior quite often. Never had issues with it. If the drive "disappeared" while rebuilding the directory, I'd suggest you contact Alsoft support - perhaps they can point you in the right direction before getting into data recovery. Their support is quite good.

    cheers!
     
  3. catskillcrisis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    #3
    Thanks so much, yeah, I think his entire system is a clone from another editor he was working with a couple years back, I will ask him. I was curious if anyone had ever had this type of issue, because like you, I have only had good experiences with this program.
     

Share This Page