DiskWarrior wont restore my slow iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theoo, Sep 11, 2013.

1. theoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

On my iMac OS 10.5.8 the Disk Utility said 'Invalid node structure' and the restore button was unclickable. So I tried DiskWarrior - without an extra external HD. Despite the system check gave no problems, the Directory check showed plenty (See below). Unfortunately the restored files couldn't get transmitted due to an unclickable Restore button in DiskWarrior.

Question: What does this mean? and What's the next step? I prefere a solution without re-installing all programs again (if my HD is still alive).

DiskWarrior has successfully built a new directory for the disk named "Macintosh HD." The new directory cannot replace the original directory because of a disk malfunction.!
    !
    A disk malfunction is a failure of or damage to any mechanical component of the disk device, or any component connected to it. The malfunction will likely worsen. Therefore, recovering your files from the DiskWarrior Preview as quickly as possible is essential.!
    !It is highly recommended that you backup all of your data from the preview disk.!
    !
    The original directory is damaged and it was necessary to scavenge the directory to find file and folder data.!
    !
    Some files that had been lost or thrown away may have been recovered.!
    !
    Comparison of the original and replacement directories could not be performed because the original directory was too severely damaged. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory.!
    !
    • All errors in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired.!
    !
    • 26 files had to be recovered. The files may have been lost or thrown away. You must inspect the files to determine the extent of any damage. You must also determine whether the files should be discarded.!
    !
    • 55 files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.!
    !
    • 19 files had a duplicate name that was repaired.!
    !
    • 58 missing folders had to be recreated.!
    !
    • 78 folders had an incorrect item count that was repaired.!
    !
    • 193 folders had a directory entry with an incorrect custom icon flag that was repaired.!
    !
    • 4 files/folders had to be moved to the "Rescued Items" folder.!
    !
    • Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.
    !
    !
    Disk Information:!
    !
    Files: 1,030,693!
    Folders: 232,944!
    Free Space: 336.16 GB!
    Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)!
    Block Size: 4,096!
    Disk Sectors: 1,952,853,344!
    Media: Hitachi HDS721010KLA330!
    !
    Time: 9/11/13 2:17:10 AM!

Looking very much forward to a reply. Thnx.
    Theo

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It looks pretty self-explanatory. Your hard drive is failing. If you have a Leopard iMac, then it's several years old.

You will need to replace the drive and restore all your files to the new device.
    DW has restored some files that may have been damaged, but it can't save them to the disk, because you're running DW and the system from the volume that you're trying to repair.

I'm presuming that you don't have a backup?

3. theoo, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

theoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thnx for your reply. My iMac (bought in 2008) is still working, but every new task is done very slowly. So I thought I didn't need an extra storage drive for reparing matters via a DiskWarrior DVD. Am I mistaken?

Aint it contradictory that the Hardware Test Report of DiskWarrior says that there's no problem (see below), while Disk Utility says 'Unvalid node structure'?
    Starting new test on...!
    Device: Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 !
    Serial Number: GTA000PAGJZTWA!
    Type: ATA Device (Serial)!
    When: Wed Sep 11 02:18:50 PDT 2013!
    !
    This hard drive's built-in S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics indicate the drive is functioning normally.!
    !
    Test completed.
    This still means my HD is perhaps soon completely not working anymore?

Do you mean that I have to let my current HD removed? I'm too anxious to take a screw driver myself. Do I need to take my iMac to the store for an installating an internal new HD? Which one is recommendable?

Assuming there are no stupid questions... Is it about this: http://store.apple.com/nl/memorymodel/ME_IMAC_AL_24_G1
    Or is it such a thing: http://store.apple.com/nl/product/MC729ZM/A/1-tb-sata-hardeschijfset-voor-mac-pro

The backup I have is on a Samsung S2 Portable 250GB. I use it for Time Machine and it's completely filled (therefore so now and then TM asked for deleting old files). For an ultimate copy of all my files a last TM task will do?

greets, Theo