DiskWarrior worth $100?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Morod, May 9, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    The searches I have found on DiskWarrior are few and far between. Reading the makers' web site :

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

makes it sound like it is worth having, especially since my one external drive is dedicated solely to Time Machine, so it's not a bootable disk. The makers even suggest running it monthly. But $100 seems a lot of money. Does anyone use this? Is it worth having?
    I have an Al iMac, 2.4, 24", late 2007 build, running 10.5.2.
    Currently experiencing no problems at all, but I guess the old Windows user in me wants to tinker. Thanks for any/all advice!
    Morod

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

DiskWarrior is a one-trick pony, and expensive one-trick pony at that. But it's worth its weight in gold that one time you find yourself with a hosed hard drive which Disk Utility can't touch. I don't run it once a month, I keep in on the shelf, just in case.

3. exoriare macrumors member

I agree - definitely worth having. I do tend to run it once a month or so and if its diagnostic messages are to be believed it usually picks up something or other. This is particularly so after a crash. DW would be very high on my 'must have' list.

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks!

Thank you both for your added info on this product! It looks kind of like insurance. You hate to pay for it, but if you ever need it you are so glad you got it! Well, now I know where part of my IRS rebate is going. :)
    Thanks again!
    Morod