"Dismiss" above incoming notification

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mascots, May 19, 2015.

1. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It's at least there on Message notifications, but at the top of some notifications (hidden above the scroll plane) theres a small tab that says "Dismiss".

I assume when you continue to pull down, it will dismiss the notification without requiring you to touch the display, but it always responds as if hitting the top of a normal list and bouncing back down - doing nothing. Or is it doing something? Am I scrolling wrong? What's with it?

2. flur macrumors 68000

You have to scroll the "dismiss" all the way down. It will dismiss the notification.

ETA:
    Are you using the crown? Just use your finger to drag it down.

3. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

Scrolling with the crown so looks like you have to use your finger. I'll check whenever I get the chance again.

4. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

5. flur macrumors 68000

You can use your nose too, if your hands are full. ;)

IMO pretty much everything is easier using your finger than the crown. I only use the crown for customizing watch faces - everything else I just do with my finger. Or my nose.

6. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'm already scrolling through my notification in my list using the crown, so while it is a small annoyance, it's quite abysmal to have to lift my finger off of it to press the "Dismiss" or swipe down when I was already "in position", yaknow? :|

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why is this lame? Much quicker than scrolling with the crown or pushing up to hit the dismiss button at the bottom.

----------

If you're already scrolling, then continue to scroll to hit the dismiss button at the bottom. You're not limited to the dismiss tap at the top.

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

slide down from the top then force touch and click on "clear all".

9. Mascots, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

I don't think you understand...

If I'm already scrolling while reading, I'd rather scroll to the back top then trigger the "Dismiss" by continuing the scroll. Instead, you have to lift a finger to press the button on the bottom OR lift your finger to continue the downward drag. Both cases require you to lift your finger and press on the display, which is trivial, I know, but really annoying when you're quickly checking a notification and have to add more effort in for an odd inconsistency.

I get many notifications in which I want to immediately dismiss them after reading the first few lines, so it makes sense to do it all in a single gesture. Or at the very least it doesn't make sense to prevent the crown scroll gesture from triggering that action while leaving it there for a physical finger-drag down.

Edit: At the very least, scrolling to the top with the crown shouldn't trigger the "Dismiss" animation with a bounce back. Because of this, I had no clue if anything was happening because the animation seems to complete and you get haptic feedback as though something did. Though, apparently the haptic is for scrolling passed the top of a list - I had no way of knowing what was happening until after I posted here :|

10. flur macrumors 68000

You do know that you don't have to scroll with the crown to read the email, right? you can just tap the email to open it, scroll down with your finger, then scroll up to dismiss.

11. Mascots thread starter macrumors 65816

Mascots

Yes. I know that. I use the crown because it is much more enjoyable than dragging my finger across a display. I am also talking about all notifications: It can be a goal message.

I quickly read the sentence then scroll back to the top to dismiss it without having to lift my finger away. Don't know how I got that habit - probably from dragging down with my finger without realizing it, but since it doesn't work with the crown (even though I would assume the same mechanics in this case), I noticed.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Wow, I didn't realize you could do that. Thanks!