Dismissing notifications

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by marmiteturkey, Jun 21, 2016.

1. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

i would like to see apple use swipe to dismiss on homepage notifications - at the moment you need to swipe, release then tap to clear. Would be much easier to swipe and have them 'rubber band' off after a certain point.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The problem with that is you would actually lose functionality unless they do it like google where a long press reveals other options such as: trash, reply, archive etc.

If you swipe right it takes to you to message and left gives you the options I mentioned above. Maybe someone with 3D touch can chime if if those options are there once you force touch a notification.

3. marmiteturkey thread starter macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Yes, that's why I'm suggesting a longer swipe to dismiss - like in mail, where a short swipe reveals options (more... Flag... delete) and continuing to swipe deletes the mail.

4. TurboPGT! Suspended

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

gotcha, that would be a good idea. Unrelated, but is there a "report bug" option? I cannot find the app or option.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2016 ---
    but not everyone has that, and those 3D touch features are being implemented without 3D touch.

6. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

Actually it's a glitch, go in the notification settings, turn on "alert" style then "banner" style back again.
    It should dismiss by itself after that.

7. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Not sure if I am misunderstanding but when I get a notification all I do is swipe it and it goes away...?

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

He's talking about the lock screen. When you swype it just gives you options such as clear, reply, etc.

He wants a long swype to clear the notification like it does in mail.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I guess one aspect of it on the lock screen is that there might be more of a likelihood that a swipe like that could happen unintentionally which could mean that some people could "lose" notifications without realizing it (or perhaps while realizing but not catching what the notification was).

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Personally not a fan of this idea. I don't like it in mail as I often activate it when I don't mean to.

11. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Again, I can dismiss on lock screen with a simple swipe..?

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

how exactly are you swiping, describe the direction, start and end points, etc.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

We don't mean swype and then choose clear. Do you mean you just swype the notification and it clears?

14. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I believe the OP wants it to function just like it has in Mail app for the last couple years. (Half swipe to reveal options, full quick swipe to delete without being presented with options.)

15. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Mail full swipe feature deleted some of my most important mails, because from time to time, it is too hard to have a "half swipe". I would rather ask Apple to "disable this gesture" or increase the "inertia" when swiping so that I can actually see options.