Disney: 125,000 iTunes Movies Sold In 1 Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney CEO Rob Iger today announced that Disney has sold over 125,000 movies through the iTunes Movie store in the past week alone, totaling $1 million in revenue. In addition, Iger said the company expects over $50 million in revenue over the first year of the program.

During last week's Showtime event, the long-rumored "iTunes Movie Store" debuted (now termed "iTunes Store") with 75 films from Disney-owned subsidaries. A successful launch may increase pressure on other studios still holding out on Apple's buy-to-own terms.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Wow. Good news for Apple and the future of the iTS in getting more studios on board. :)

If Apple can just convince studios to release movies in 720p and 1080p formats, it would kill off the blu-ray / HD DVD rivalry once and for all.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
In addition, Iger said the company expects over $50 million in revenue over the first year of the program
Hmm. Lets see $1M in a week, 52 weeks in a year, yup - that's about $50M. Wow - that dude is a genius!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Looking at some financials, I think Disney sells on the order of 100M DVD units per quarter, which comes out to about 7-10M units per week? 125k units through the online channel in one week isn't so bad. :) If they hit their $50M revenue target, that means they will see sales on the order of 1% of total home video sales? That's a fair start.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
1mio for 125000 movies. so they make an avaerage of $8 per movie. iTS sells them for about $10-$12.

so it seems apple makes about 2-3 bucks per movie (minus the bandwith/server cost).

i wonder if the movie business is profitable for apple or if it's merely to promote iPod's iTV and Mac's.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
puckhead193 said:
I wonder if these people are buying one to "test it out" or are buying multiple movies.
I concur. 1 and 3 months out will really tell how this service fares.

So far though, it is a good start.

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
This is fairly remarkable, considering that the really only viable place to watch these movies is on an iPod! Yes, you can watch it on your iMac, or on your television hooked to a Mac Mini, but really, the set top box (iTV) can't come soon enough! Furthermore, this is really the kind of content that lends itself to the TV, rather than the iPod (Disney movies that parents put on replay for hours on end.)

Of course, maybe these stats are dominated by those who wanted to watch Coyote Ugly on the train, on their way to work ;-) .

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
During the meanwhilst, any news from Amazon Unbox ?

How well did they do?

Because it's easy to throw numbers at us, but withouth any comparison, it doesn't really say that much (although it's probably very good)

guzhogi

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
dernhelm said:
Hmm. Lets see $1M in a week, 52 weeks in a year, yup - that's about $50M. Wow - that dude is a genius!
Just wait. I have a feeling that once people get used to buying movies off of iTS, they'll convince all their friends to buy more movies and those friends would convince their friends and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell 50m w/in 9 months. Hopefully, people will like the movies.

I hope that the iTV would someday get DVR capabilities like saving episodes on TV. Also, I'd like iPods to have radios & Airport built-in too.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I have an idea:

Sell Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest in a High Definition format to test the waters. I think a lot of people would buy it in HD since they already have computers capable of decoding it. Why the need to invest in an expensive HD DVD player?

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
I bought a movie (Good Will Hunting) to try out the whole shabang and see the quality for myself. The 1.5Gb download took 6+ hours on my crappy adelphia cable modem (it feels slower every day, what am I paying 50 bucks a month for again?). I was satisfied with the image quality on my 20" Dell widescreen, but sitting at my desk to watch a movie instead of my couch isn't the movie experience I'm going for. Sadly, I probably won't be buying another iTunes movie.

Not that anyone cares.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
That's really good. I was wondering when we'd get the results of the Movie Store.

It'd be interesting if there was a way in which we could see if DVD sales were down for those movies due to the Movie Store. Doubt there's a way, but I still have a feeling that these were impulse buys beause people just say them there, and it's not like they were planning on running out to Target or somewhere to get them.

Personally, I bought Good Will Hunting and Shakespeare In Love. Have yet to watch SIL, but I was very pleased with the clarity of GWH. Too bad my iBook 1.07GHz can't really keep up...and it ran out of juice in the last thirty seconds ;(

My computer is 3.5 feet from the end of my bed, so it'll be perfect to watch from there on my soon-to-be-delivered 17" iMac. My TV is 20" and is higher up but to the left of my bed. I live in an apartment with flatmates, so I have a lot of stuff in my room.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I bought The Sixth Sense. Was a good experience. I'd buy again*.

*Now they just need to get a wider selection.

ctachme

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Considering that the iTS is like the 5th biggest music vendor, they sure suck at selling movies. 125k is nothing compared to real movie vendors.

Maybe when they get more than 75 movies. Amazon unbox started with like 2000 movies!

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Macnoviz said:
During the meanwhilst, any news from Amazon Unbox ?

How well did they do?

Because it's easy to throw numbers at us, but withouth any comparison, it doesn't really say that much (although it's probably very good)
That's what I was going to ask. I'm very curious to see how Unbox has done, particularly since it launched a week earlier.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
just depends on your connection.

some people have extremely fast connections, of course, and others are still on the horse and buggy.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
mcarnes said:
How long would it take to download a two hour 1080p movie?
It took my Black MB about 70 mins to download "Deuce Bigalow". This was over a decent but not great motel WiFi setup, and I was downloading some other stuff for about half the time.