Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney today launched a new Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Starter Pack for the fourth-generation Apple TV, bundling a SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Controller and a Bluetooth-enabled Disney Infinity Base in a package that's now available for purchase directly from Apple retail stores.

The new Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition game for the Apple TV is available on the device as of today, and in addition to the controller and the base, the bundle Disney is offering is Star Wars-themed with the Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic Play Set piece and the Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano figures. The figures will unlock a comprehensive Star Wars gaming experience with both new and classic Star Wars characters and storylines.

disneyinfinity-800x583.jpg

Earlier figures and Power Discs from the 1.0 and 2.0 versions of Disney Infinity are compatible with the new Disney Infinity 3.0 version of the game on the Apple TV. Disney Infinity has largely been limited to console-only platforms from Xbox, Nintendo, and Playstation, but in recent months, the franchise has expanded to PC, Android, and iOS devices.

With gaming now available on the Apple TV, Disney has delivered the first full console style experience to Apple's set-top box with the launch of Disney Infinity 3.0. For those unfamiliar with the Disney Infinity line, it's a sandbox-style action adventure world where gamers can unlock new characters and gameplay experiences using real-world collectible figurines.

The Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Starter Pack for the Apple TV can be purchased from the Apple Store for $99.95.

Article Link: Disney Launches Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars-Themed Bundle for New Apple TV

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
good that they're bundling in a proper MFi remote. Apple needs to allow games that only work with a remote. Siri sucks for games.

Reactions: Elbon
Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Wait so Disney gets to create games that require a game controller but other dev are forced to support the Siri remote?!????

Reactions: snowmoon
Comment

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Wait so Disney gets to create games that require a game controller but other dev are forced to support the Siri remote?!????

who says the game controller is required? It certainly is a better experience - but the only requirement is that it also has to support the siri remote and is playable without game controller. I have not read anywhere that siri remote is not supported for full game play for the disney game. It is great that they bundle a game controller for the better experience, but doesn't meant it is required.

Last edited:
Comment

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Nope, pass. I already have 2 Nimbus controllers, and I'm not interested in any game that requires me to "unlock" it by buying more products from Disney. I'm happy to pay for a decent game - why do they have to make it so difficult?

Comment

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Nope, pass. I already have 2 Nimbus controllers, and I'm not interested in any game that requires me to "unlock" it by buying more products from Disney. I'm happy to pay for a decent game - why do they have to make it so difficult?

Not sure what is worse - the annoying in-app-purchases or those annoying add-ons that you have to buy (placed at strategic locations in stores to get little kids to annoy their parents). Both are bad.

Sometimes I miss the times where you payed $40 or more for a great video game and were never ever bothered again to pay additional money to just keep playing. But I guess there are too many i***** that keep paying for IAP or these types of extensions so that the game companies keep putting that garbage out because it makes more money

Comment

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Any non star-wars options? Would love to get this for my niece but I think she would like disney princesses a little more :)

Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Nice! Bluetooth-enabled base!

I got this game for PlayStation 4 on launch, and set it up recently. The only disappointing thing was having to connect the base to the PS4 by cable…

Comment

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Questions I have:
Is this the FULL disney infinity game?
Can we use this sweet Bluetooth base on other platforms? (PS4/XBONE)
Can we use a PS4 or XBONE controller on the Apple TV to play this game?

UPDATE: Bonus question: Can I plug my Disney Infinity 3.0 USB base into the apple tv and not have to buy this?

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

CentralOffice

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
$100 is tough to swallow. May pick this up down the line -- consoles starter packs retail at $64.99 and they can be had for much less if you're patient.

Comment

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Does anyone know if the game will be sold separately? I just bought a controller, so I'd just be interested in getting the game instead of the bundle

Comment

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Not sure what is worse - the annoying in-app-purchases or those annoying add-ons that you have to buy (placed at strategic locations in stores to get little kids to annoy their parents). Both are bad.

Sometimes I miss the times where you payed $40 or more for a great video game and were never ever bothered again to pay additional money to just keep playing. But I guess there are too many i***** that keep paying for IAP or these types of extensions so that the game companies keep putting that garbage out because it makes more money
No in app purchases required:

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

You know those do exist. Just a lot of people have skipped out on home and handheld games consoles for the convenience of mobile games. Some of the best-rated games in recent years don't hold any content back (but some of the big ones do sell "shortcut" items, like GTA).

Better gaming platforms exist!

ahhh... my scheme of having diskless gaming platform is coming to fruition...

(My 6 year old loves Disney Infinity, and it looks like the ones that we bought for the Wii will work with this...)
You've been able to do that with most PS3 and Xbox 360 games, and definitely all PS4/XboxOne/WiiU games for years now.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Does anyone know if the game will be sold separately? I just bought a controller, so I'd just be interested in getting the game instead of the bundle

The app itself is free on apple tv, but you have to pay $24.99 as an in app purchase in order to play the toy box mode, or $14.99 for other modes.

Comment

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Just let me buy the base. I have the twilight of the republic set.

Or, better yet, bundle it with The Force Awakens set, I don't have that one yet, as it isn't out yet.

Comment

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Has anyone played Disney Infinity? Reviews seem really good. I want a controller for Apple TV and it comes bundled seems like no brainier. Just not sure about the game.

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Has anyone played Disney Infinity? Reviews seem really good. I want a controller for Apple TV and it comes bundled seems like no brainier. Just not sure about the game.

Disney Infinity is best for multi-player in the toy box, and creating your own worlds. If you just stick to the pre-created worlds, it's just a so-so game.

We've had Disney Infinity for the past 2 years on our Wii U - and it's the most played game by far. My daughter has a collection of over 50 figures. We play together and create worlds in the toy box which she plays with her friends. It's fun where she can play as Wreck it Ralph, and I'll play as Donald Duck riding around in Tie-fighters. We'll create worlds where there are forest mazes, Aladdin sand dunes, Spiderman buildings, Star Wars death star things, create games. It's so much fun.

In the pre-created worlds, you're limited to just the characters in the set, like for the Lone Ranger set, you can only play as Lone Ranger or Tonto. In the toy box, you can play those characters and everyone else, but still use all the trains, horses and western buildings to play with Tinkerbell or Ironman, or Mickey Mouse or whomever. The fun is in building the worlds yourself.

Like - do you like playing Mario games, or using 'Mario Maker' to create your own worlds and play them? If you're in the latter category, Disney Infinity is for you. If you just want to play single-player games and not create worlds, then it's okay, but not the best game out there.

Comment

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
How does the game play on the AppleTV even? It is virtually unplayable, with long, long load times, laggy game play, and delayed response controls on mine and my kids' iPads (1 mini 3, 1 Air and 1 Air 2).

Unless the experience is better and up to par with a proper console experience, what's the point? Won't be getting my ATV 4's until Christmas (brother coming for Christmas from overseas) but I am looking forward to playing Oceanhorn on the 90" projector screen with a proper MFi controller!

Comment

MatrixSJD

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
How does the game play on the AppleTV even? It is virtually unplayable, with long, long load times, laggy game play, and delayed response controls on mine and my kids' iPads (1 mini 3, 1 Air and 1 Air 2).

Unless the experience is better and up to par with a proper console experience, what's the point? Won't be getting my ATV 4's until Christmas (brother coming for Christmas from overseas) but I am looking forward to playing Oceanhorn on the 90" projector screen with a proper MFi controller!

I bought the game for my Apple TV last night, and having played Infinity since the release of the original on console and I have to say, while it doesn't load as quickly as the console versions (thanks in part to on-demand resources and limited space on the device) it's the same experience as PS3/XBox360. I'm sure your kids would enjoy it. Plus it's the full Infinity experience, not just be ToyBox as it is on iOS.

Comment

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Disney Infinity is best for multi-player in the toy box, and creating your own worlds. If you just stick to the pre-created worlds, it's just a so-so game.

We've had Disney Infinity for the past 2 years on our Wii U - and it's the most played game by far. My daughter has a collection of over 50 figures. We play together and create worlds in the toy box which she plays with her friends. It's fun where she can play as Wreck it Ralph, and I'll play as Donald Duck riding around in Tie-fighters. We'll create worlds where there are forest mazes, Aladdin sand dunes, Spiderman buildings, Star Wars death star things, create games. It's so much fun.

In the pre-created worlds, you're limited to just the characters in the set, like for the Lone Ranger set, you can only play as Lone Ranger or Tonto. In the toy box, you can play those characters and everyone else, but still use all the trains, horses and western buildings to play with Tinkerbell or Ironman, or Mickey Mouse or whomever. The fun is in building the worlds yourself.

Like - do you like playing Mario games, or using 'Mario Maker' to create your own worlds and play them? If you're in the latter category, Disney Infinity is for you. If you just want to play single-player games and not create worlds, then it's okay, but not the best game out there.
Thansk, still on the fence, but really enjoy the "collecting" aspect of it too.
Hmm, will think it over for a while.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.