Disney Magical Express - anyone use this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 9, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll be heading to Disney with the family and part of the package includes the Disney Magical Express where we get special luggage tags, and basically we don't have to wait for our luggage when arriving, it will be delivered to our resort for us.

Now here's my question: Do these luggage tags replace the luggage tags that I get when I check in at the airport, i.e., I'll have two luggage tags, one yellow and one white from JetBlue or just the yellow one from Disney Magical Express?

I tried calling JetBlue and the lady on the phone was nice but had no idea what I was talking about.

I'm hoping any seasoned Disney person could chime in. I've been googling and so far I've not found the answer to my question.

I'm trying to make the airline check in as smooth as possible and not cause any confusion if I need two or one tags.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know anything about that but the whole checking in and retrieving luggage isn't that big of a deal. I tend not to do it because I can travel with just a carry on most places I have to go, but when I have done it, it wasn't horrid.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a free service and we'll be taking advantage of it. I don't want to mess it up. That is the airline sees the regular tags and puts them in the carousel for me to get them and I take the bus to Disney expecting my luggage to be delivered.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Relax, I wasn't dissing it. I was simply saying it isn't hard to get your own bags if you don't find the answer in time. It baffles me why Disney themselves cannot answer this question.

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was able to get more info by calling both jetblue and disney. It all depends on who you talk too. My first call was fruitless.

It seems these tags are used by Disney not the airline, so JetBlue will put their tags on, and leave these untouched. At Orlando a Disney Magical Express Engineer (Mouse Drone :p) will wait for all yellow tag luggage to come through and put it the appropriate shuttle bus to the resorts.

So my worrying was unwarranted, but it was bought on by jetblue's ignorance of this (even though they set this up for me)

So my question answered, it would be interesting to hear any feedback about this service if anyone MacRumor members used this :)

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Used it a while back when my family went to Disney in 2011. The only problem was our hotel reservations were messed up and my wife and I ended up on the other end of the hotel from the rest of my family. When we got to the hotel we had my brother's luggage and he had ours. All in all, it was a minor inconvenience triggered by reservations, not Magical Express. It did take a couple hours from the time we landed to the time our luggage got to use.

I strongly suggest you take the same precautions you would take any time you check baggage. Keep a change of clothes, medications, money, and anything valuable or time critical in your carryon.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good points, I have our swim wear in our carry on luggage so the kids can go swimming and I never put anything valuable in check luggage anyways :)

8. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

We use Disney's Magical Express every time. Never had a problem with it and we've made seven (will be eight this month) trips in the last 4 years. Let me tell you, it is sure nice to not worry about wrangling your bags when you are flying with 6 month old twins. The only thing is that if your flight gets you there before your room is available, you'll want to remember to wear clothes you want to hang out or visit the parks or whatever until you can get into your room. You can check your carry-on if you have any with the resort until then as well if you need to. And, your bags do not travel with you from the airport; they can arrive before or after you, and they'll just Magically appear in your room ;)

As you found out, you'll put both the JetBlue tag and the Yellow tag on your checked luggage. When you arrive in Orlando, the Magical Express area is next to the rental cars. You'll need your booklet they sent. The nice Disney folks will direct you to the appropriate line for your resort. It's about a 30 minute bus ride depending on where you're staying.

Magical Express can take you back at the end of your stay. They leave your resort about 3 hours before your flight time, so you definitely will have enough time to get through security in Orlando, which seems to be very crowded at all times.