Disney Movies Anywhere vs. iTunes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidg4781, Apr 7, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I got the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital version of The Force Awakens and I'm redeeming the digital code right now.

I can choose from Disney Movies Anywhere or iTunes/Amazon/etc. What's the best route to go? Disney or iTunes? I'm not interested in the others, regardless of reason. I'm pretty well established in the iTunes ecosystem but is there a benefit or drawback of going with either one?

I tried searching and couldn't really find any information, other than you can link them together. I'm trying to make a decision quick before that screen times out.

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

So, here's the deal. Disney Movies Anywhere's main schtick, is, like the name implies, to be able to enjoy your digital movies...well...anywhere. Which is to say that if you give Disney your iTunes Account info, your Google Play account info, your Amazon account info, your VUDU account info, and so forth, then, if you buy or redeem a digital movie from their collection from one of those services, you will automatically own it on all of the others as well. Case in point: when I bought Iron Man from Google Play, I then owned it on iTunes, and Amazon as well. When I bought the Toy Story trilogy bundle on iTunes, I then automatically owned it on Google Play, Amazon and the others.

All that to say that, it doesn't matter which one you redeem through just so long as your Disney Movies Anywhere account knows to talk to your iTunes account, your Google Play Account, your Amazon accounts, etc. and vice versa. Also to say that if you don't yet have accounts for these services, you might as well make them to reap this benefit. (In particular, movies on Google Play are nice to have as you then have Chromecast compatibility that you don't yet have with iTunes' media ecosystem [and thusly, as long as you have an iOS or Android device with Google Play Movies and TV installed, you can bring The Force Awakens over to your buddy's house to watch on his/her Chromecast].)

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

So does it just authorize it to play through iTunes or does it actually become one of my movies in iTunes? Let's say something happens with DMA and they go away. Do I still own the movie through iTunes, provided they didn't tell Apple to take it off their server?

I don't have those other accounts now but I may later. I never thought I'd leave Palm for Apple but changed back in 2007.

4. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

You tie iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, and the others to Disney Movies Anywhere once. From then on, any purchase or redemption made through one of those accounts (Disney Movies Anywhere included), automatically gets added to the others at no additional cost. Again, I highly recommend adding other accounts to it, even if you haven't made them yet. It's a really sweet deal.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I ended up going through DMA and tying it in with my iTunes and Amazon accounts. I don't have the others, yet.

It does look like it's safe as it sent me to iTunes to authenticate it and everything. I was concerned I may have issues later but I don't think that'll be an issue.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Hey I have a weird thing happening. I redeemed The movie "Guardians of the Galaxy" through my already iTunes linked DMA account. I was then able to download that movie through iTunes and watched it a couple of times through iTunes (back when I first redeemed it).

Now for some reason this movie does not show up as a movie I own in iTunes. All other DMA movies I own show in iTunes but not this one. It still shows in my DMA account as one I own.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Is this the case on all of your Apple devices? I had something similar happen where some movies (not necessarily Disney) showed up on my Macbook's iTunes, but not on my iPhone.

I think the solution was to log out of iTunes app on my iphone and then log back in. It was so long ago that the details are kinda fuzzy.

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I seems to be true on iTunes on my iMac and on my AppleTV, I will try logging out and back in anyway.

9. mr.monkey macrumors newbie

mr.monkey

Hey, if you own an iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, it may seem like a simple decision to do your shopping in iTunes. As you can imagine, Apple's ecosystem works great together. I always burn iTunes movies and TV shows to any devisce via TunesKit, so I never take Disney, Amazon instant video, google play into consideration. Just beware FYI

Apple iTunes Pros:
    • One of the first to offer streaming video, movies, TV shows and rentals and still a leader in terms of stability and performance.
    • Works great with the iPad's and Apple TV's new TV app, which will let you browse and select movies and TV from various sources alongside of your own digital collection including Hulu, HBO Now, Starz, etc.
    • Allows offline downloads to both PC and mobile devices.
    • Supports Disney Everywhere.
    Apple iTunes Cons:
    • Compatibility limited to Apple's ecosystem (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV) and Macs and Windows-based machines.
    • No 4K/UHD support.

10. tyfighter76 macrumors newbie

tyfighter76

iTune and Googleplay work for me but. when I try to connect Vudu to movies anywhere from either side doesn't connect. Is anyone have success with Vudu connecting?

11. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Just an FYI for anyone still following this thread: Disney Movies Anywhere is being phased out in favor of Movies Anywhere (which is backed, not just by Disney, but by 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, and Universal as well). Make an account, tie your iTunes, your Google Play, your Amazon, and your Vudu accounts all together and your collections will be in sync. If you've already synced your movies with Disney Movies Anywhere with at least one of these accounts, then you can re-sync them with Movies Anywhere simply by connecting that one account to it.

Also to say, that there's really no reason to not sign up for this service, especially if you own devices from different ecosystems.

Now, if only they'd do this with TV-shows...

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

plus you get a few free movies for signing up.