Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney+ is coming to Europe in just under a month, and Disney is offering prospective customers a discount subscription offer if they sign up early to the streaming video service.

disney-plus-5.jpg

Residents in the United Kingdom can get a year of Disney+ for £49.99 instead of the standard £59.99 annual subscription rate if they sign up between now and March 23. Elsewhere, in other European markets users can purchase an annual sub for EUR59.99 instead of EUR69.99 euros before the official launch date.

Sign-ups to the discounted subscription rate can be completed online at https://preorder.disneyplus.com.

On March 24, over 500 feature films and over 7,500 shows will be available on the service including new original content like the critically acclaimed "The Mandalorian" and "The World According To Jeff Goldblum," along with timeless classics like "Lady and the Tramp" and the entire Pixar library.

Monthly pricing remains at £5.99 for the U.K. and EUR6.99 for other European markets. Disney+ will be available on Amazon Fire devices, LG and Samsung smart TVs, Roku's streaming devices, Apple TV, iOS, Android, Xbox One, and PS4 at launch.

Article Link: Disney+ Pre-Launch Promotion Offering Discounted Prices for Europe

Reactions: BMox81

dogg

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
Looking forward to this. Anyone of our USA based friends share their thoughts on the service that already has it? Is it worth it?

Comment

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Looking forward to this. Anyone of our USA based friends share their thoughts on the service that already has it? Is it worth it?

UK user here; I had US Disney+ running on my Apple TV 4K for a couple of months using smartDNS, before my ISP issued a new router that employs DNS hijacking and broke the service for me.

That I took advantage of the £49.99 UK offer yesterday with indecent haste should say it all. The service worked brilliantly, with the MCU, Star Wars and late 80s/early 90s Disney Classics all in Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos (I can make use of both). The exclusives - The Mandalorian, Forky Asks a Question & the Imagineers documentary series were all fantastic and well worth watching. Navigation is very similar to the existing UK DisneyLife service, with a watchlist that one can add films, series and shorts to. The US service had The Simpsons (cropped to fit a 16:9 TV) & assorted animated Marvel series, notably the 90s animated X Men. The Simpsons will NOT be on the UK service (do Sky have the rights in perpetuity?) and not sure about X Men (animated & live action).

Didn’t get chance to make use of the download service on phones/iPads before we lost the service. Looking forward on this for watching offline during car journeys, flights to Disney World in May etc.

Is the service worth it? As a die hard Disney/MCU/Star Wars geeks, the service is unbelievable value for money to me and my family, especially as we can make full use of Dolby Vision/HDR10/Dolby Atmos.
[automerge]1582631411[/automerge]
Can’t wait to see the marvel movies in 4k

Got as far as watching Thor 1 in a family MCU-a-thon from the beginning when we had the US service for a couple of months courtesy of smartDNS. The MCU films in 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos did not disappoint. Looking forward on picking the series back up with Cap A 1st Avenger in Marchj

Comment

dogg

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
Thanks for that. I’ve also signed up for the early bird deal. Am a big fan of Star Wars/MCU too so can’t wait to watch in 4K. I’ve already watched the Mandalorian which I thought was fantastic so will be looking forward watching again in the higher resolution. Can’t wait. Kids will love all of the content too.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Disappointing that the Disney+ app doesn’t seem to be available in the uk yet.
(Edit I thought the preview instead of a Pre-order)

Comment

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Is it possible to share one account with friends/family? Similar to Netflix?
Absolutely!
5 profiles total can be created; all can stream at the same time.
I sent the passcode to a friend on the other side of the country that shares his HBO with me, & to my son off at college- about an hour and a half away.
Have had since day 1, not a single issue.

Comment

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
I’ve just looked at that HD only via iTunes?!! So can we stream 4K through Dinsney?

Yep, all Star Wars & MCU films are 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision through Disney+ on Apple TV, along with Little Mermaid through Lion King from the 90s high point plus all of the recent Disney films (Zootropolis/Zootopia, Frozen etc).

None of which are in 4K or HDR on iTunes (as much as I’d love my historic purchases to be upgraded as per Warner, 20thC Fox etc).

Reactions: dogg
Comment

Hicksmat1976

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2016
Middleton, England
Disappointing that the Disney+ app doesn’t seem to be available in the uk yet.
(Edit I thought the preview instead of a Pre-order)

use a proxy server/dns redirection to make you appear in the USA, sign up for a USA iTunes account, download the app, presto. to use the service in the UK ahead of launch you need a vpn/smart DNS service, but it does work.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you can say yes to at least 4 of the followings, yes, it is worth it:
  • Disney+ Originals (The Mandalorian, Clone Wars (season 7), upcoming Marvel series, upcoming Obi Wan series). Note that availability of upcoming series are in the fall and next year. There's very little original contents at the moment.
  • You want to have access to all Disney feature films (e.g., The Lion King, Frozen). Note that availability of new films lag digital/DVD/BD release by 3 months or so.
  • Pixar films
  • Star Wars films
  • Marvel films
  • You are into classic Disney TV series (and some Fox, like The Simpsons)
  • You have 4K HDR TV set

Comment

dogg

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
[automerge]1582649728[/automerge]
Yep, all Star Wars & MCU films are 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision through Disney+ on Apple TV, along with Little Mermaid through Lion King from the 90s high point plus all of the recent Disney films (Zootropolis/Zootopia, Frozen etc).

None of which are in 4K or HDR on iTunes (as much as I’d love my historic purchases to be upgraded as per Warner, 20thC Fox etc).
I sometimes wonder about Apple/iTunes. Am sure money can’t be a factor as plenty of potential customers would pay for 4K content over HD... Or is it Disney not allowing 4K to support their new service sales? Wouldn’t it be a more obvious choice to allow for both?
[automerge]1582649824[/automerge]
If you can say yes to at least 4 of the followings, yes, it is worth it:
  • Disney+ Originals (The Mandalorian, Clone Wars (season 7), upcoming Marvel series, upcoming Obi Wan series). Note that availability of upcoming series are in the fall and next year. There's very little original contents at the moment.
  • You want to have access to all Disney feature films (e.g., The Lion King, Frozen). Note that availability of new films lag digital/DVD/BD release by 3 months or so.
  • Pixar films
  • Star Wars films
  • Marvel films
  • You are into classic Disney TV series (and some Fox, like The Simpsons)
  • You have 4K HDR TV set
Yep 4 minimum.

Comment

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
[automerge]1582649728[/automerge]

I sometimes wonder about Apple/iTunes. Am sure money can’t be a factor as plenty of potential customers would pay for 4K content over HD... Or is it Disney not allowing 4K to support their new service sales? Wouldn’t it be a more obvious choice to allow for both?
[automerge]1582649824[/automerge]

Yep 4 minimum.

If I remember right, its a case of Disney wanting to both charge more than the current iTunes for new 4K titles (currently £13.99 max here in the UK, whether for SD, HD or 4K films) and wanting to charge for HD to 4K upgrades, something Warner, Fox et al have all allowed for free (much to the appreciation of my wallet). Apple have disallowed both of these scenarios instead allowing a £1 increase from £4.49 to £5.49 for 4K rentals as a sop to the studios.

I suppose there is nothing to stop Disney re-releasing older titles as new and collecting £13.99 for the same titles (plenty of films have had multiple releases on iTunes) and avoiding the free upgrade scenario. However the £13.99 per title max I can imagine Apple not moving on. Personally I've been entirely happy with the £13.99 purchase/£5.49 rental for 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision and sometime Dolby Atmos. Barring Disney and the 'must haves' on 4K UHD BluRay (Blade Runner, Kubricks etc) my film purchasing & rentals for the past few years has been almost exclusively on iTunes via Apple TV.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If I remember right, its a case of Disney wanting to both charge more than the current iTunes for new 4K titles (currently £13.99 max here in the UK, whether for SD, HD or 4K films) and wanting to charge for HD to 4K upgrades, something Warner, Fox et al have all allowed for free (much to the appreciation of my wallet). Apple have disallowed both of these scenarios instead allowing a £1 increase from £4.49 to £5.49 for 4K rentals as a sop to the studios.
Considering you cannot download 4K titles (not just iTunes but other major services as well), but only 1080p, I think Apple's position is quite reasonable. 4K is an "extra" perk that you can stream only, whereas 1080p is the highest digital physical copy you can have. Also, with Apple footing the bill for streaming data, it's not like studios are incurring more cost.

But Disney naturally sees one-price-for-HD-and-4K as an impediment for charing more for 4K.

In any case, I am fine waiting 3 months or so to watch Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel movies on Disney+ (in 4K). Non-promotional price that we will eventually have to pay, or $69.99/year (or £59.99/year or €69.99/year) is equivalent to 3.5 iTunes digital purchases (or 2.8 4K purchases on Vudu, Amazon, etc).

Of course, Disney will most likely increase the price of Disney+ after few years. Hopefully by then, there will be enough original contents to justify the price increase.

Reactions: Brenster
Comment

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Considering you cannot download 4K titles (not just iTunes but other major services as well), but only 1080p, I think Apple's position is quite reasonable. 4K is an "extra" perk that you can stream only, whereas 1080p is the highest digital physical copy you can have. Also, with Apple footing the bill for streaming data, it's not like studios are incurring more cost.

But Disney naturally sees one-price-for-HD-and-4K as an impediment for charing more for 4K.

In any case, I am fine waiting 3 months or so to watch Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel movies on Disney+ (in 4K). Non-promotional price that we will eventually have to pay, or $69.99/year (or £59.99/year or €69.99/year) is equivalent to 3.5 iTunes digital purchases (or 2.8 4K purchases on Vudu, Amazon, etc).

Of course, Disney will most likely increase the price of Disney+ after few years. Hopefully by then, there will be enough original contents to justify the price increase.

After watching The Mandalorian, I've high hopes for the MCU tie-in series on Disney+. Along with the existing catalogue, plus a couple of new MCU films a year plus Disney & Pixar's own releases plus the other series similar to Imagineers, there will be plenty arriving on the service over time to warrant the recurring spend. In my own household's case (Disney geeks), we'd likely keep subscribing even if the pricing went up 50% - I'd still be quids in relative to my historic Disney/MCU/Lucasfilm/Pixar iTunes purchase rates.

Your comparison to 3.5 iTunes purchases is entirely apt. Prior to upgrading to a 4K display, I was happily buying each major new SW, MCU, Pixar & Disney release digitally anyway - the gag reel with each new MCU release was always a family must. I'm still going to weaken on the odd 4K disc release due to impatience (we're all itching to rewatch Frozen 2 asap and I want the Skywalker Saga 4K box) but in the main I'll be joining in you in waiting for 3 months after digital sell-through for films to hit Disney+.

The promotional push for Disney+ here in the UK in advance of launch is massive - emails to anyone who has ever registered with Disney, pre-go live annual discount pricing, concerting DisneyLife subscribers, heavy promo adverts on Twitter etc - all rather suggests that the sell through market (digital and physical) is not as important to Disney as perhaps it once was. And as much as I'd like Disney 4K iTunes purchases within Apple pricing restrictions, I'm guessing Disney believe that they aren't leaving that much money on the table relative to getting people on board with their streaming service and are focusing their efforts thus. From my 2 month experience with the US Disney+ service, I'm definitely for the long haul - Disney+ will join Apple Music, Netflix and Audible on the no brainer, happy to pay subscription list.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.