Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

A bit of a Apple/Pixar/Steve Jobs connection here...

LINK

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um, so basically Universal Studios/Adventure Island has to close all of its Marvel rides?

Or now Disney gets a cut of Universal's sales?

Wow. :rolleyes:

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I smell an X-Men Babies animated series coming soon. Or X-Men Princesses.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There's more to this than the Islands of Adventure theme park in Florida, but that was my immediate reaction too.

This is crazy.

7. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Maybe…
    But it is possible that Disney wanted to diversify their entertainment portfolio and own something that appeals to a different demographic than their current offerings. Thus, they could let Marvel carry on doing what they do best in order to have access to a different set of customers.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep. i grew up on their characters and comics. the brand and image will end up ruined.

9. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, I think the initial comments from Disney are that Marvel will remain a completely autonomous entity under the Disney umbrella of brands.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Disney has been licensing Marvel proprieties for their cable channels for awhile. I noticed X-Men (the old 90's cartoon) was on Jetix/Toon Disney (or whatever it's called now) a few months ago and the Hulk was on ABC Family recently.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So how long until they release Snow White and the Seven Superheros?

12. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Great day to own MVL. I own a handful of shares, and they shot through the roof today: a positive note on an otherwise bad day for the street. Apparently I'll get paid $30 for each of my shares plus get .75 shares of disney for each of my Marvel shares. Awesome deal, especially since DIS is dividend-bearing and MVL isn't. It's a free upgrade :).

As for Marvel the company itself... I actually don't think it's all doom and gloom. Remember Disney has adult lines, like Pirates of the Carribean. Marvel will help them flesh out that side of their product line.

13. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

All of the Six Flags theme parks, too. I guess we will have a Disneyland New England now.

14. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

NEXT VICTIM DC COMICS! we are doomed in 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOGLE and Disney would be the end too :D

15. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

To the folks complaining about this: I could be wrong but I think Marvel was owned by Revlon in the 80s or 90s. Do you really think Disney would be a worse corporate parent?

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Six Flags is DC Comics, not Marvel.

Actually, Six Flags is Warner Brothers, which owns DC Comics, hence, the Looney Tunes theme at the parks as well.

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

"Iger and others announcing the deal this morning had little to say about Marvel's current arrangement with Universal Orlando, which has an entire theme-park area, Marvel Super Hero Island, dedicated to Marvel characters. Universal's contracts apparently gives it exclusive U.S. rights east of the Mississippi River for theme-park attractions built around certain of those characters, notably Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, X-Men and Dr. Doom.

'Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so,' said Tom Schroder, a Universal spokesman. 'Our guests are going to get to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience.'"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-marvel-entertainment-083109,0,2559631.story

Yeah, right. Universal. I say Disney will give them until the end of their current contract then cut them off.

A Marvel theme park would be a gold mine for Disney, and lord knows they have the space to build it at Walt Disney World in Florida.

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

There could be some potential cool crossovers. The possibilities are endless!
    - Peter Parker dumps Mary Jane for his true love, Hannah Montana.
    - The Joans Brothers team up with the Fantastic Four to thwart Dr Doom's vile plan to take over the Band Slam.
    - Did somebody say, Superhero Musical?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what they all say at first. Give them a decade and Marvel will be ruined.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

But what about Universal Studios? They have parks that directly compete w. Disney in Fl & CA.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I see it different.

I see comic books coming to the Apple device.

22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

As I posted above, the Marvel deal would only affect one of Universal's parks. Universal thinks they'll be OK as part of their current licensing deal with Marvel. However, Iger and Disney's management side-stepped the Islands of Adventure question when asked this morning.

They already are. Marvel and Apple announced a deal back in February to sell "motion comics" on the iTunes Store. Additionally, many of their original animated series (X-Men: The Animated Series, Spider-Man, etc) are now on iTunes.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/marvel-to-sell-motion-comics-via-itunes-store.ars

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

24. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You got it right. I had the reply to window open while your post was being posted.:p

Agreed, Universal is screwed. A shame since I like Universal better since they serve beer.;)

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik