Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the popularity of Disney+ showing no signs of abating, Disney is satisfied with its paid subscriber model and has no plans to introduce a cheaper ad-supported tier anytime soon.

disney-plus.jpg

That was the take-home message from Disney CEO Bob Chapek when asked about the possibility of a cheaper plan offering for its video streaming service, according to The Verge. Speaking at the Credit Suisse 23rd Annual Communications Conference on Tuesday, Chapek said:
"We're always re-evaluating how we go to market across the world, but we've got no such plans now to do that. We're happy with the models that we've got right now. We won't limit ourselves and say no to anything. But right now, we have no such plans for that."
Discounted plans for ad-supported streaming have become increasingly popular with other services such as Hulu (which is owned by Disney) and HBO Max, which introduced an ads tier in May which cut its rate by $5. However, when it looks at the upward curve of its subscriber figures graph, Disney clearly sees no need for an alternative to its paid-for subscription.

Indeed, Disney in March raised the price of its subscription streaming service by a dollar, from $6.99 to $7.99, with the yearly subscription also increasing. Despite the price hike, Disney+ continues to increase its subscriber base. In May the company said it had reached over 103 million global paid subscribers and that it expected to more than double that number by 2024, potentially surpassing Netflix.

Disney+ launched at the same time as Apple TV+, but it has grown much more rapidly given the available back catalog of Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars content, along with new TV shows like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier."

Apple has never provided details on ‌Apple TV+‌ subscribers so there's no direct comparison to be made, but Apple's subscriber numbers are nowhere near Disney's because Apple still has many people who are on free trials that have been continually extended.

That's set to change soon, however. From July 1, Apple is reducing its one year free trial of Apple TV+ with eligible Apple device purchases to just three months, which will truly test the staying power of its audience.

Apple is working hard to bolster its selection of original movies and TV shows, but it will be several years yet before ‌Apple TV+‌ has a catalog that can compete with Disney+. Going forward, Disney has set a target of 100+ new titles per year across Disney Animation, Disney Live Action, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic.

Article Link: Disney+ Won't Offer a Cheaper Ad-Supported Plan Anytime Soon

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
The addition of Star to Disney+ in the UK has made it really good value, there's lots of decent older content on there that goes way beyond the traditional Disney fare, especially some long-forgotten 90s movies. Watched End of Days with Arnie the other night. It's now our go-to streaming service if we want something easy and popcorn. There's no way I'd bother paying for my own Netflix account now. Twice as much as Disney for something I use half as much, if that.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Wish they had all the classic mickey, donald and goofy shorts
10bit for all feature movies would also be appreciated
Honestly. You still have to pay $300 for a rare DVD if you want all the 1951-1961 Donald cartoons. It’ll cost about $800 if you want the cartoons from the characters start to the 60’s.
Was hoping Disney+ would fix the problem but they continue to hold on to the old cartoons for some reason.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Honestly. You still have to pay $300 for a rare DVD if you want all the 1951-1961 Donald cartoons. It’ll cost about $600 if you want the cartoons from the characters start to the 60’s.
Was hoping Disney+ would fix the problem but they continue to hold on to the old cartoons for some reason.
Wow! I have quite a few of those tin box collector's DVD ?

Reactions: HailstormX

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Wow! I have quite a few of those tin box collector's DVD ?
When I was young I used some of my “vacation allowance” to buy some. Wasn’t allowed to buy them all though. The tins really are the best way to view the characters past.

I did buy the $300 Donald #4 tin to complete my collection as an adult and lost it somewhere in the house while trying to rip it. Still haunts me. Imma find it someday. I guard the other three like a dog now. I’d feel better about it if I could stream them, but no. I don’t like touching the discs anymore because they’re all scratched to hell because I did use them extensively as I didn’t realize the rarity when young. I dread the day they just stop working.

Edit: For Donald it looks like it’d be about 800-1K for all four tins now as 1-3 have inflated.

Last edited:

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
HBO's ad-supported tier is only $5/mo less? That seems easily not worth unless you use it so little that the ads don't take up much of your time.
These tiers will probably make more sense as we keep moving into a future where everybody has their service and most people aren't available to pay all of them at the same time.
It's kind of funny that it would mean we would basically have "channels" with ads...
Still we can still turn each service on and off for a few months, no ads while subscribed, and that is my favorite option.

Reactions: hot-gril

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I mean it makes sense, isn't their main target audience children? How would you target children with ads without pissing off the parents who have to deal with needy crying children asking for this and that
The fact that the Disney channel didn't have outside ads is precisely why me and my brother were forced to watch it (IE Cartoon Network etc wasn't allowed) 3-12. Makes sense now, it took up time and we didn't whine about having a particular brand of fruit snack.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
When I was young I used some of my “vacation allowance” to buy some. Wasn’t allowed to buy them all though. The tins really are the best way to view the characters past.

I did buy the $300 Donald #4 tin to complete my collection as an adult and lost it somewhere in the house while trying to rip it. Still haunts me. Imma find it someday. I guard the other three like a dog now. I’d feel better about it if I could stream them, but no. I don’t like touching the discs anymore because they’re all scratched to hell because I did use them extensively as I didn’t realize the rarity when young. I dread the day they just stop working.

Edit: For Donald it looks like it’d be about 800-1K for all four tins now as 1-3 have inflated.
I'm gonna find a way to sell them ?

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I'm gonna find a way to sell them ?
If you don't value them please do, they're all getting rarer and harder to find so another seller will certainly make people happy. Im shocked at the amount the donalds 1-3 have inflated in the past two years. If you have Donald #4 PM me.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If you don't value them please do, they're all getting rarer and harder to find so another seller will certainly make people happy. Im shocked at the amount the donalds 1-3 have inflated in the past two years. If you have Donald #4 PM me.
I have to check. I have like 20 tins but it's at another house.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I have to check. I have like 20 tins but it's at another house.

Again id be interested, and while valuable they are hard to sell so keep it in mind. ;)

Edit: With how scratched my #2 and #3 are id probably also be interested in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: matrix07

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
I just wish disney+ would be offered to more countries as it's rather limiting where it can be watched from
Precisely. Living in Europe and tried to subscribe already multiple times in recent years. Just checked and it's still not available in my country. I guess they have it too good.

Gruffydd

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018

With the popularity of Disney+ showing no signs of abating, Disney is satisfied with its paid subscriber model and has no plans to introduce a cheaper ad-supported tier anytime soon.

disney-plus.jpg

That was the take-home message from Disney CEO Bob Chapek when asked about the possibility of a cheaper plan offering for its video streaming service, according to The Verge. Speaking at the Credit Suisse 23rd Annual Communications Conference on Tuesday, Chapek said:
Discounted plans for ad-supported streaming have become increasingly popular with other services such as Hulu (which is owned by Disney) and HBO Max, which introduced an ads tier in May which cut its rate by $5. However, when it looks at the upward curve of its subscriber figures graph, Disney clearly sees no need for an alternative to its paid-for subscription.

Indeed, Disney in March raised the price of its subscription streaming service by a dollar, from $6.99 to $7.99, with the yearly subscription also increasing. Despite the price hike, Disney+ continues to increase its subscriber base. In May the company said it had reached over 103 million global paid subscribers and that it expected to more than double that number by 2024, potentially surpassing Netflix.

Disney+ launched at the same time as Apple TV+, but it has grown much more rapidly given the available back catalog of Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars content, along with new TV shows like "The Mandalorian," "WandaVision," and "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier."

Apple has never provided details on ‌Apple TV+‌ subscribers so there's no direct comparison to be made, but Apple's subscriber numbers are nowhere near Disney's because Apple still has many people who are on free trials that have been continually extended.

That's set to change soon, however. From July 1, Apple is reducing its one year free trial of Apple TV+ with eligible Apple device purchases to just three months, which will truly test the staying power of its audience.

Apple is working hard to bolster its selection of original movies and TV shows, but it will be several years yet before ‌Apple TV+‌ has a catalog that can compete with Disney+. Going forward, Disney has set a target of 100+ new titles per year across Disney Animation, Disney Live Action, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic.

disney-plus.jpg

Some of us must be as dumb as peanuts if we are going to fall for the trick where you end up paying to see ads for a cheaper service. Paramount+ does that and it is a precedent. Look what they did with cable. It’s chock full of ads.

The right way is to have FREE ad supported way or a paid platform with no ads. Let consumers have a choice. But there sure as hell will never have me as a customer paying for both ads and a subscription. It’s either or with me.

Are you going to be a peanut? ?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The addition of Star to Disney+ in the UK has made it really good value, there's lots of decent older content on there that goes way beyond the traditional Disney fare, especially some long-forgotten 90s movies. Watched End of Days with Arnie the other night. It's now our go-to streaming service if we want something easy and popcorn. There's no way I'd bother paying for my own Netflix account now. Twice as much as Disney for something I use half as much, if that.
I'm the opposite. Netflix has a huge range of original shows that don't fit the remit for the fluffy family friendly PC crap Disney churns out.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I'm the opposite. Netflix has a huge range of original shows that don't fit the remit for the fluffy family friendly PC crap Disney churns out.

Yeah, as I said, on UK Disney now there's loads of stuff that doesn't remotely fit that profile. Thanks for your considered input though, Mr 121178.

Reactions: Brenster

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I mean it makes sense, isn't their main target audience children? How would you target children with ads without pissing off the parents who have to deal with needy crying children asking for this and that

Indeed, we minimize ads for our children as much as possible. We did even reduce Youtube use for just a few minutes per day just because of the shear amount of ads these days. Only those programmes with product-placement are hard to catch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.