Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney today announced MagicBand support for iPhone and Apple Watch in a service called "Disney MagicMobile," which uses the Wallet app.

disney-magic-bands.jpg

Disney's MagicBand is a colorful wristband that guests can wear at Walt Disney World to enter the theme parks, unlock their hotel room, and buy food and merchandise. MagicMobile brings a contactless way to access many MagicBand features using only an iPhone or Apple Watch.

Guests will be able to create a Disney MagicMobile pass through the My Disney Experience app and add it to the Wallet app. The user's iPhone or Apple Watch can then be used at the same contactless access points as with a MagicBand. There is also the option to use a MagicBand alongside a MagicMobile mobile pass, so guests do not need to choose one over the other.

Initially, MagicMobile will be exclusive to Apple devices only, but the service is expected to come to Android devices at a later date.

Article Link: Disney World MagicBand Support Coming to iPhone and Apple Watch

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Awesome news. After first experiencing use of the magic bands some years back I figured this was going to eventually happen.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
You can actually pop the “puck” out of the Magic Band and put it into a holder that slips onto your Apple Watch band for some time now. Same result; we just wear our Apple Watches (or any watch for that matter, but our Apple watches are set to Mickey during Disney trips). Buy them on Amazon.

Who’d want to bother getting their phone out?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You can actually pop the “puck” out of the Magic Band and put it into a holder that slips onto your Apple Watch band for some time now. Same result; we just wear our Apple Watches (or any watch for that matter, but our Apple watches are set to Mickey during Disney trips). Buy them on Amazon.

Who’d want to bother getting their phone out?

now you don’t need to do either of those things. Apple Watch is natively supported, without the need for a puck holder.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
now you don’t need to do either of those things. Apple Watch is natively supported, without the need for a puck holder.

I’d prefer to save as much battery as possible during a long day at Disney, because they are some long days.

I wonder how much of a drain this app would be.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm honestly surprised they are doing it and giving up the easy revenue stream that comes with selling those bands.
As I recall, the bands were free. So they're giving up an expense, not revenue.

People had the option of paying more to decorate the bands... I don't recall any of my friends/family doing that but maybe it's more popular with some groups?

Reactions: mihike

Cheesehead Dave

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2020
Finally. One of those first-world annoyances was having to wear both my watch and magic band at the same time. For all the time they've supported Apple Pay at POS stations, I'm surprised that it took this long to implement.

I wonder if this is something they've always been able to do, or if there's a future iOS update that will unlock some feature of the NFC chip that was needed to make this work, kind of like was was done recently to enable car unlocking?

Cheesehead Dave

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2020
yay, now they can track even more info while we're in the parks!
Snarkiness aside, this actually reduces what Disney can collect. The Magic Bands have two sets of antennas inside them: One is a near-field chip that you have to tap against something to make it work, just like how Apple Pay does, or the plastic cards that you can request from Disney if you don't want to use a Magic Band. That's what this new feature replaces.

Magic Bands also have a battery powered antenna in them that works like the EZPass toll transponder in your car which enables Disney to automatically capture ride photos for a coaster train full of guests, display your name within ride special effects, or (probably) whatever other crowd tracking Disney does to see where people go throughout the day. The Apple Watch doesn't have this feature, so the Mouse wouldn't be able to track you if you used this exclusively.

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Well, I'm sorry 5yrs + too late. We asked and pleaded and nothing. Now they canceled the annual season passes, let go of all their workforce. I was there for the opening of galaxy edge and its garbage... Disney has disrespected the Starwars fanbase with their crap. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.