Disparity in Broadband speed between Macs on same network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Marky, May 17, 2011.

1. Marky, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

Marky macrumors regular

Hi

Apologies up front if I'm being stupid or am missing the obvious when I did a search.

Two Macs on the same wireless network at home getting completely different broadband speeds.

Using BT Infinity up to 40mbs service

iMac (late 2010) gets approx 37mbps consistently, MacBook Pro (late 2006) getting consistently approx 21mbps.

Now obviously the one machine is a lot older than the other so I assumed it's down to age and raw performance capabilities of each machine.

However if that was the case, why when consumer rights campaigners berate broadband service providers do the service providers never use age and capability of the computer as a factor and basically blame the consumer for using old computers. They always simply rely on The distance to the exchange excuse.

So, should I be expecting broadly similar results for both machines or does the disparity between the two seem about right?

Both Macs are connecting to an Apple Time Machine and using it's network.
    If I connect directly to the BT Homehub the speeds are lower but the difference between the two remains.

I've tried connecting each Mac by Ethernet and the results are very much the same give or take the odd Mbps increase seen on both machines.

Both are using Safari latest version. Both running Snow Leopard both fully up to date in terms of software updates.

I've checked settings on both Macs and they appear to be the same.
    Is there something I'm missing?

Any ideas anyone?

Kind regards
    Mark

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What is both Macs using (frequency, a, b ,g or n) connecting to the time Capsule (since it does both g & n)?

3. Marky thread starter macrumors regular

Hi

The MBP is connecting on 'g'
    I believe the iMac is using 'N'.

However I get the same disparity in broadband speed when connecting using ethernet cables, at which point which version of WiFi cannot be a factor.

Anyone any ideas?

Regards
    Mark

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When you connected via Ethernet open System Preferences->Network pane, highlight the Ethernet port (in the left hand column) and in the right window click on the 'Advanced button'. Then select the Ethernet tab and set your Ethernet to use the same speed of the network your Ethernet cable is connect to. See if that helps.