Display... 1308 days and counting...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hpe, Apr 14, 2015.

1. hpe macrumors member

When the new display was released in October 08 it had been 651 days since the last one. (the previous longest update time recorded...)
    Now we are at 1308 days and counting... more than doubleing the record from October 2008.
    Personally, I got tired of waiting and got the LG 34UM95. It is great, but there are some details an Apple version of the same display would have had. It would have had better exterior finish, better control by OS X, an iSight camera, possibly a USB-C hub... I would have gladly paid a premium for it.

I am a share-holder and a huge fan of this company but where is the new screen? Apple doesn't make the panels themselves so for the non-MacPro users an Apple screen with the same panel as the LG 34UM95 would be perfect (not as much graphics power required as less pixels than a 4k).

And a 4k for the MacPro users? Do they have to wait until cable solution mess is resolved in the next iteration of the MP (I assume that will be the case) solves it and then release a 5k monitor?

I got another solution, taking the difference I would have paid for an Apple screen (~400$) and buy a few more APPL share for it...

2. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

i'm here waiting too.. 3 years and counting.. Meanwhile, I picked up a 34". I appreciate the screen estate but a part of me can't live without retina. :'( Hopefully end of this year they'll come out with a 5k 27" 4k 21.5" displays.

3. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Total speculation: Apple could release a new display in June at WWDC, supporting USB-C for the new MacBook and any other USB-C devices they release at WWDC.

4. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

I think they're just waiting for themselves—in the sense that there is as yet no "critical mass" of Macs able to drive a display good enough for Apple to want to make it. Perhaps the time will be ripe when Skylake is released, and the entire spectrum of Macs is bumped up a bit spec-wise.