display activation and duration

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thomasfxlt58, May 14, 2015.

1. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

I've been a bit frustrated by the inconsistent activation of the display on my Watch. This may play a role in the inconsistent performance of Siri responding to voice commands. Here's something I've come to realize. When you raise your wrist to activate the Watch display, not only do you need to raise and turn it toward your face but the bottom edge must be near level to activate and stay on. If the lower edge is past 45 degrees, it turns off prematurely. Level your Watch and it will stay on for the preset duration. Not ideal in all situations and it makes it much more obvious that you're checking something. In these cases, a finger touch is more appropriate and the display will activate regardless of your wrist position AND stay on for the preset time.

2. maliu macrumors 6502a

I believe it's 4 seconds for a lift, 10 seconds for a touch and only from experience long enough when you activate passbook to use a boarding pass. If you lift, then lower or twist the other way it turns off immediately. Hold your arm still when you want to look at it.

3. thomasfxlt58 thread starter macrumors regular

Where this really got me was sitting at home in an arm chair. The tendency was to just rotate my forearm with my elbow on the armrest. The display would flash on for a second, then off. I have to lift my elbow and get my forearm horizontal to keep it on. It's fine once you understand how it works. Often now, I just touch it.