Display Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Harmush, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Hey guys. I recently bought an 20" Alu iMac. I love it, it is the single best think i have ever spent £800 on. I have a VGA - Composite Cable and I got a DVI to VGA with my iMac. The very nice man in the apple shop chucked it in for me. :) So its a real apple one.

I tryed hookin it up too my TV this morning without much joy, I'm just wondering if anyone had any idea's... I can't figure out why its not working. No image is being displayed, there is a singnal but its not an image. Just flashing white flecks all over the TV Screen. Images of the cables are below incase i didnt call them the right names, which is likely.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Not sure but that looks like a VGA 15DSub and a Component cable (three for RGB) - what input are you using on the TV and what model is it?

3. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Ok have you tried plugging the component in to the TV. then turn off the TV and the Mac. Turn the TV back on and change to the corresponding input for the component and then switch on the Mac?

See if it recognises it then (sorry if you've done this already)

5. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

6. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

If you're going to do this much surely you'd be better off with a DVI adaptor and a dvi-HDMI cable? I know it means chucking more money at it but digital is going to be better. Or are you using your HDMI ports?

7. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

well i am using them, but its only a case of changing the cables so its no hassle. I didn't know you could get DVI to HDMI thanks for letting me know. Also that didn't work then, there is a signal going to the TV because I checked, but its not displaying.
    I already had these cables so i didn't really want to spend money if i didnt have too. but i might look in to DVI - HDMI.

Unless i get it sorted of course.