display advice please

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
For all I can tell, it looks like a good monitor. Just about anything with an input, as a monitor, will work with a Mac, be it DVI or VGA, as long as you have the adapter for your mini-DVI.

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
also need display advice

no point in starting a new thread

anyhow next wed, unless apple have announced new imacs or a special event, i am going to be ordering a mac pro with following specs

two 2.0ghz dual core
1gb ram (will buy some more ram from crucial)
nvidia 7300
250gb hard disk
bluetooth and airport extreme.

however, am split between two displays. Either

- Samsung SM206BW 20" Monitor 2MS response time HDCP compatability 3000:1 contrast ratio £175 from ebuyer

OR

- Dell E207WFP 20" monitor 5ms response time 800:1 contrast ratio HDCP support 4 year warranty, £200 from overclockers

Tempted to go for the dell for the warranty alone but the specs on the samsung one look really good for the price.

Will both of these work ok with a mac pro? which of the two seems the better deal?

john2006wright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
UK
no point in starting a new thread

anyhow next wed, unless apple have announced new imacs or a special event, i am going to be ordering a mac pro with following specs

two 2.0ghz dual core
1gb ram (will buy some more ram from crucial)
nvidia 7300
250gb hard disk
bluetooth and airport extreme.

however, am split between two displays. Either

- Samsung SM206BW 20" Monitor 2MS response time HDCP compatability 3000:1 contrast ratio £175 from ebuyer

OR

- Dell E207WFP 20" monitor 5ms response time 800:1 contrast ratio HDCP support 4 year warranty, £200 from overclockers

Tempted to go for the dell for the warranty alone but the specs on the samsung one look really good for the price.

Will both of these work ok with a mac pro? which of the two seems the better deal?
Have you heard about the "panel lottery" with those displays. apparently there are 3 types of panles each made by different companies. The S panel is made by samsung but if you buy from amazon/pimania etc. then you get A or C panels which are not as good. Just google panel lottery. I've heard the dell suffers the same thing. Apparently they ship the good panel to stores for dipslay and to the media for reviews, then sub-contract the manufacturing to other companies, who dont make them quite as well. Just a warning.

john2006wright

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
UK
has anyone in the UK bought from ebuyer or overclockers? They are both selling the LG 22" for £200. Wondering if they are good company to deal with?

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
HP widescreen??

Tristan, if you can find out what your friend liked from HP, I'd sure like to know. Just been looking for the last few days, and while online HP doesn't look all that different, when I went to a local store I was struck by how much I liked the HP displays they had compared to the rest.

I haven't figured out where to find a list of resolutions supported native by the Macs (new Mini, particularly) and am wondering whether these HP widescreens match what the Mac delivers.