display advice please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by john2006wright, Jul 25, 2007.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi guys, I hope you have some advice for me. I was thinking of buying this monitor

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/129386

for my plugging in my macbook when at home. Does anyone know anything about it?

LG 22" for £200.

It doesnt mention being compatible with Mac, is this ok to assume

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

For all I can tell, it looks like a good monitor. Just about anything with an input, as a monitor, will work with a Mac, be it DVI or VGA, as long as you have the adapter for your mini-DVI.

3. superlatic macrumors regular

also need display advice

no point in starting a new thread

anyhow next wed, unless apple have announced new imacs or a special event, i am going to be ordering a mac pro with following specs

two 2.0ghz dual core
    1gb ram (will buy some more ram from crucial)
    nvidia 7300
    250gb hard disk
    bluetooth and airport extreme.

however, am split between two displays. Either

- Samsung SM206BW 20" Monitor 2MS response time HDCP compatability 3000:1 contrast ratio £175 from ebuyer

OR

- Dell E207WFP 20" monitor 5ms response time 800:1 contrast ratio HDCP support 4 year warranty, £200 from overclockers

Tempted to go for the dell for the warranty alone but the specs on the samsung one look really good for the price.

Will both of these work ok with a mac pro? which of the two seems the better deal?

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

My friend just bought an amazing 22" HP widescreen for under $300. He's a graphic designer. Sorry, i don't know the model, but that's what I'd get if I were in the market for a display right now.

5. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Have you heard about the "panel lottery" with those displays. apparently there are 3 types of panles each made by different companies. The S panel is made by samsung but if you buy from amazon/pimania etc. then you get A or C panels which are not as good. Just google panel lottery. I've heard the dell suffers the same thing. Apparently they ship the good panel to stores for dipslay and to the media for reviews, then sub-contract the manufacturing to other companies, who dont make them quite as well. Just a warning.

6. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

has anyone in the UK bought from ebuyer or overclockers? They are both selling the LG 22" for £200. Wondering if they are good company to deal with?

7. superlatic macrumors regular

i bought my surround sound speakers from ebuyer, and they were a pleasure to deal with.

8. ankh macrumors member

HP widescreen??

Tristan, if you can find out what your friend liked from HP, I'd sure like to know. Just been looking for the last few days, and while online HP doesn't look all that different, when I went to a local store I was struck by how much I liked the HP displays they had compared to the rest.

I haven't figured out where to find a list of resolutions supported native by the Macs (new Mini, particularly) and am wondering whether these HP widescreens match what the Mac delivers.