Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Well I guess Apple is going to do something now that the 23" display is gone which puts me in a odd situation. I want a 2nd monitor for Final Cut, while I also want to upgrade, so the 24" LED is what I like (yes I am sticking with Apple products). Did Apple use the 24" to knock out the 23"? I found that odd. I have heard a few things about the monitor but nothing to concrete.
Basically would there be any real difficulty running the 24" LED with my G5, and my 20" display? Also I will be using the LED for my Pro Laptop, which I also use for video editing. So I figure I would just need to unplug it when I use the laptop.
If anyone has heard any display rumors I would love to hear them before I make my choice. And the 30" is too big and too much!!!! LOL

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Well I guess Apple is going to do something now that the 23" display is gone which puts me in a odd situation. I want a 2nd monitor for Final Cut, while I also want to upgrade, so the 24" LED is what I like (yes I am sticking with Apple products). Did Apple use the 24" to knock out the 23"? I found that odd. I have heard a few things about the monitor but nothing to concrete.
Basically would there be any real difficulty running the 24" LED with my G5, and my 20" display? Also I will be using the LED for my Pro Laptop, which I also use for video editing. So I figure I would just need to unplug it when I use the laptop.
If anyone has heard any display rumors I would love to hear them before I make my choice. And the 30" is too big and too much!!!! LOL

Wait if you can. Apple will be releasing the rest of the Cinema Display line soon. I'm guessing there will be one that will fit your needs. I have no clue when the line will be refreshed, but it won't be long.

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Unless the situation has changed since launch, the 24" can't be used with any existing desktop Mac, not even the Mac Pro, let alone the G5, due to its mini-displayport connector.

Have you seen how ridiculously reflective the screen is, by the way?

Obviously people have different opinions but I'd take a 23" ACD over the new 24" even if the prices were reversed, it's so much nicer.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
You can't use the 24" with your G5. If you want a very good quality 24" display then get an NEC LCD2490WUXi which is probably the best in its class. The HP 24" LP2475w is a good cheaper option and the 24" displays from doublesight (check [h]ard|forum displays section for latest info on them) are good as they are closest to the NECs. Another option is finding a good condition 23" ACD, but I wouldn't pay more than $700 if that. Not without a warranty anyway.

Be aware that all displays have issues that may or may not annoy or affect someone's usage of them (glossy vs. non for starters), but some are just better than others overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.