Display advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarkW19, Feb 15, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'd like to get an external display to compliment my MBP when at home. My instinct is to get an Apple Cinema Display (23"), but they're very expensive compared to other manufacturers.

I was wondering, how do the Apple displays compare with other manufacturers, in terms of image quality/sharpness/colours?

I'll be watching DVDs, playing 3D games, and doing some video/photo work, so it needs to be excellent image clarity/quality.

Can anyone suggest another make/model, which either allow me to save some money on a 23"/24", OR get a much bigger screen (28"?) for the same price as the 23" Apple one? I also need 2 USB 2.0 ports on it, if possible.

Thanks for any help!

2. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

here you go mate, the best in it's class:- http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php?xProd=29540&source=google&gclid=CIj82szfppECFQxKQgodnkTEeg

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, but it's only £100 less than the 23" Apple one ;)

I've got my eye open for a 23" ACD on eBay for around £400-£450, so that's the sort of money I'm looking at for the Apple display.

So, will £400-£450 get me a bigger display (25"-28"?) from another manufacturer, that's also as good quality as the Apple one?

4. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do a search; there's lots of advice about displays on the forums. Google search seems to work better. FWIW I just got an apple 20-incher as the second display for my iMac and it works great. But the third-party options seem just about as good. For most people it comes down to the aesthetics of the display itself.

6. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The Info is Out There

Search these forums -- lots of info on this topic.

Apple is an excellent high end monitor and worth the $$ if you need an out of the box calibrated monitor for higher end printer reproduction in SWOP color space.

It lacks the ports and features of many lower priced monitors. These lower priced monitors often use panels of lessor quality.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'll have a dig around.

The only reason I'd want to go to another manufacturer is if I can get a bigger screen for the same money. BUT, only if it's of equal screen quality to the Apple one, which it doesn't seem like it will be...

Also, yes, the Apple ones do look very cool, particularly at the side of a MBP :)