Display and 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ojwk, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

I plan on using either the Apple LED display or another one display as some kind of 'hub' for the MBP when I am at home.

I require a fairly large workspace and for that reason was considering the 15" MBP. The downside is that it does reduce portability fairly substantially, and I am under the impression that the 13" MBP now has the performance to match my needs.

Would running a MBP in clamshell driving a large display for extended periods of time result in heat problems, especially screen distortion (as this is probably what I would do when at home)?

I sincerely hope not as it would be quite an ideal solution. I don't really fancy the clutter of having the laptop open on the desk, I would rather hook it up to the monitor and power and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, effectively landing me with both a desktop and notebook in one integrated system.

Thoughts?

2. courboy macrumors regular

I have the now old UMB 2.4ghz and bought it for it's portability for when I need to lug it around. Apart from that it sits on my desk 90% of the time with the 24" ACD, doesn't get noticeably hot and seems to run just as well as if it weren't connected to a monitor at all.

Saying this, if you are looking to run a 30" display, I guess there may be some potential problems then?

3. ojwk thread starter macrumors regular

ojwk

I expect the GPU will be working harder because of the increased resolution demand.. In any case though, do you use umb in clamshell or open?

4. chamrick75 macrumors newbie

To courboy: I'm thinking about getting the same setup as you. I'm wondering, do you do any work with Photoshop? If you do, do you have any issues with displaying gradients on the 24" ACD when you have a 13" Macbook hooked up?

I had a Black Macbook hooked up to a 23" Cinema Display and it could not display gradients correctly and forced me to switch computers for graphic design work. I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money and get a Macbook that has the upgraded graphics chip.

5. courboy macrumors regular

Yes I agree with that. I use it open as I like to use the screen on the UMB for iTunes or my email and the main windows on the main screen, it's very useful like that. I do appreciate that some people like to hide it away though and suspect this will make it hotter.

6. courboy macrumors regular

Unfortunately I don't use Photoshop that intensively, mainly for the odd image here and there, I am by no means a professional graphic designer! I don't have any problems with the gradients though but your needs may be greater than mine for colour accuracy etc.

I would say that the colours are extremely vivid and I have to turn the brightness down to about half at night as it's incredibly bright!!

I would advise you to use one in the apple store and see what you think, but bare in mind there will be lots of reflection if you do this. I would make sure if you do buy it, you either are used to glossy screens or don't have a window behind you, as I don't and it just means the colours are brighter with the glossy screen.

:)