Display and Ethernet adapter recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BlueIS3, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BlueIS3 macrumors newbie

Anyone have recommendations for 2011 MacBook Air adapters for a VGA or HDMI display? Same question for Ethernet. Any good USB Ethernet adapters?

I know Apple sells both but I get the feeling that a less expensive brand would do just fine.

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Monoprice (monoprice.com) for the VGA and HDMI adapters.

As for the ethernet adapter, while you could use a 3rd party, if it requires additional drivers then I wouldn't use it. Too much potential for incompatibility with OS updates, etc. The $29 for the Apple USB-Ethernet is I think a fair price and it's guaranteed to work correctly. I have one and it seems quite well-built and works just fine, even through the hub on my monitor.

3. ryNze macrumors newbie

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

These guys are spot on - get a cheaper VGA unit from Monoprice, buy the Apple Ethernet. It stupidly overpriced but it just works. I previously tried a couple of cheaper third party units, and each one stopped working due to an operating system upgrade from Apple.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Aren't the aftermarket USB Ethernet adapters gigabit, (but you're still limited to USB 2.0) a better choice than the Apple one?

I bought the Apple MiniDP -> VGA and DVI adapters at Best Buy, they were $12.99 open-box.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

They say they run faster than the Apple one, but I believe there are limitations on the USB port that max them out at 100MB. You may get a SLIGHTLY faster result with a third party, IF you are willing to mess with drivers and you trust that the drivers will continue to be updated as the operating system is updated. Most people don't want to deal with that.

7. BlueIS3 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have a 3rd party ethernet adapter, it's the linksys. USB-Ethernet dongle thingy.

No additional drivers needed. It just worked and was recognized as a ethernet card right away. Works just as well as the Apple one and goes for <$10 on ebay.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

If it doesn't require drivers, you should be solid for future compatibility.

Do you have a model number you can share?

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Linksys USB300M (although it also has the Cisco logo on it)

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Thanks. That will probably be helpful for some people.

I looked it up and it should be noted that the retail price is the same as Apple's adapter ($29) but you likely can find either online for less.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have had very good luck with everything I have picked up from mono price, but I just grabbed both the ethernet and video adapters at an Apple store. Paid more, but had instant gratification and no worries about the slight chance of an incompatibility.

13. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I'll probably buy an apple ethernet adapter soon, but maybe I'll look into the cisco one mentioned.