Display and hard drive problems with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simplyzero, Aug 6, 2008.

1. simplyzero macrumors newbie

I've had my MacBook Pro for about 4 or 5 weeks now, and my experience has been pretty awesome. However, within the last couple of days I've started to see a few things that might be problems, but they might just be things that I'm not used to as well.

Sometimes, at random intervals when I'm watching YouTube videos, the hard drive (I think, but it could be a fan as well I guess) starts making a somewhat fast clicking noise and then slows down later, but it lasts for a while.

Sometimes after turning the light off in the room where I keep my MacBook Pro, the backlight goes dim like it's supposed to and then my screensaver appears and eventually the display shuts off like normal. However, I came in the last couple of mornings to awake my screen and the screen is very very bright, the colors have more of a white tone to them. So I go into "Displays" in System Preferences, and upon clicking that, it reset itself to normal. I just found this to be really odd as well.

Also, since my MacBook Pro isn't that old...only a couple of weeks...I downloaded Coconut Battery to see what my battery state was. The original battery capacity was 5600 mAh and now it's down to 5516 mAh, which is down to 98% of the original battery with only 5 Battery-Loadcycles.

Since I switched to this MacBook Pro because of a dying computer that I just migrated all the data from and recently got everything working the way I want it, and these small things start showing up, it just makes me a little concerned. Has anyone else experienced these issues, or are they even issues at all?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Hard to tell on this, but this could be "thrashing" (copying/loading files to/from memory) or an indication of an impending drive failure. Make sure you keep current backups.

You could have a corrupted Displays preferences file or a bad cache file.

I would first try:
    1. SMC reset
    2. PRAM reset
    3. Safe Boot

I wouldn't worry about this. You haven't lost that much capacity and as you run on battery and then recharge, you will get some battery degradation as time goes on.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

A clicking noise is something that you shouldn't really ignore. As mentioned by Merl1n, make sure you have backups.

As for the battery, have you calibrated it? 98% is not really an indication that the battery is bad.