Display another folder's content on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hehe299792458, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Right now, what appears on my desktop is just the content inside the ~/Desktop. Simple, right?

Is there a way to make it such that both the contents of ~/Desktop and ~/Documents/ABC are displayed on my actual desktop?

2. Thessman, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

Thessman macrumors regular

Yeah, open up a second window and point to it.
    Well maybe geektools is your thing, I'm not sure though.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hold down the Command key and double-click on ABC.

Alternatively, go to Finder Preferences > General
    check the box by "Always open folders in new window"

4. simsaladimbamba

That is something else entirely.

The OP wants the files and folders of the Documents folder also be visible on the Desktop (no Finder window involved yet).

OP, maybe you could try creating aliases?

5. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Thanks, simsaladimbamba. I tried creating aliases, but sometimes, I worked with a larger number of files. When that happens, I often forget to create one or two aliases, and it gets confusing.

It'd be nice the files were just directly visible on the desktop. I have seen this done on a Windows desktop before. I think the person used some sort of theme/skinning application (standard dock?).

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you want them on the desktop, put them on the desktop. There is no way to have files on the desktop and not on the desktop. You can use some sort of sync program to sync them if you want, but there's really no way to accomplish what you're asking.

It's also well worth noting that it's generally a bad idea to keep items on the desktop on the Mac. It's intended only as very temporary storage, and keeping multiple items on the desktop, or even in folders on the desktop, will slow down the computer and can lead to file corruption and in extreme cases prevent the computer from booting up fully. I have seen this in 100+ cases, and in each and every case simply moving the contents of the Desktop folder to another location on the computer instantly solved the problems. I would recommend either keeping items you need access to in the Dock (a stack in the Dock sounds like it'd work great for you here), or simply use another method of accessing those files.

jW