display appearance on Mac Mini vs MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iknowyourider, Mar 29, 2008.

1. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I read alot of web pages on my mac mini w/ 22" acer display. My wife says the text is too small. I recently hooked the 22 to my new MBP and the same pages have a larger look and are much easier to read. The display settings are the same and the text settings are the same in safari. Can I get the larger look from the Mini? I'd like to leave the MBP un-tethered.

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

..If all of your display settings are the same for the MBP and the Mini then there can't possibly be a difference in text size.

3. iknowyourider thread starter macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

That seems like the logical answer to me too. I have tested this display 2 or 3 times but I'll have to try it again and really pay attention.

4. iknowyourider thread starter macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I tried it again and used the apple.com for a standard. I sized the browser to be 1/4" wider than the web site. With the Mini it is 11" wide and the current news says"pro tip of the week: taming your tabs" . That line is 2 5/8" wide. With the MBP the web site is 13" wide and that headline is 3 " wide.

The mini is tiger with safari 3.0.4. The MBP is Leopard w/ 3.1. Maybe leopard is better:eek:

5. Nick T. macrumors regular

What are the resolution settings on the mini and the MBP?

1. type system profiler in Spotlight and open it.
    2. highlight Graphics/Displays
    3. read the screen resolution

Although flat panel displays are sharpest when run at their native resolution, you can go to System Preferences > Displays and select a lower resolution for larger type and easier readability. You may see some loss of sharpness in graphics.

YMMV

6. iknowyourider thread starter macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

The acer is set at 1680 X 1050 on both machines. That is also what the acer box has printed on it.