Display bezel not right after LCD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cubeeggs, Dec 1, 2009.

1. cubeeggs macrumors member

A little over a week ago, I took my late-2006 MacBook to an Apple Store because my AppleCare expires in about a week from now, and my MacBook had gray dots on the LCD and the headphone jack was intermittently getting stuck in optical mode. The genius agreed that the headphone jack was looser than normal and my MacBook would need a new logic board, and wrote on the repair authorization to examine the LCD.

Previously, my MacBook has had a fan repair (July of 2007, this inspired me to get the AppleCare), presumably a logic board replacement (May of 2008, stopped booting and headphone jack was stuck in optical mode, no repair listing), and a repair to fix a noisy fan and a top case starting to crack (July of 2009).

I got my MacBook back on Black Friday, and I was very surprised when I saw the repair summary: not only had the LCD and logic board been replaced, but the inverter and "miscellaneous part(s)" with mechanical and/or cosmetic damage had been replaced, as well as the optical cable and Super Drive (these were not previously broken).

Unfortunately, after this massive repair, the two screws nearest the hinge had been overtightened, causing the polycarbonate to warp (I fixed one, but the other screw is too tight), and the display bezel appears to have been damaged when it was removed or replaced. The lower third on the left side is popping off, it comes out slightly near the top, the right side of the lower part of the bezel is bulging outward, and at several locations around the inside, light leaking out from the backlight is visible.

My understanding is that repairs are warrantied for 90 days, but I'm thinking I should call Apple soon and ask them about this because even if the repairs are warrantied for 90 days, I may not be able to get free phone support after the AppleCare expires. The repair sheet said my MacBook passed all of Apple's hardware inspections, but it seems it was not entirely reassembled correctly. Should I just call Apple and send it back for another repair, or do I have other options?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Go to your nearest Apple store or call them up ASAP and get it resolved.

Really, it's a no-brainer I'd think.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

While you're still under AppleCare, you might visit your Apple Store with a Genius Bar appointment, and calmly go over all the trouble that you've had with your computer. Emphasize that you love Macs, but that you feel let down by this one—that you can't believe how much trouble this one has given you.

Apple usually has a way of fixing things. Let us know what happens.

4. cubeeggs thread starter macrumors member

I called phone support, and I found out I can take my MacBook to Capital Macintosh and have them fix the bezel under warranty.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Could you take a picture of what it looks like?

I noticed that all of these fit together differently. I can have five different machines, making the bezel fit in snug and tight on four of them may take 10 seconds, and on one may take five minutes.

I'm not saying it's right, but rather that this is a common issue.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The junk near the bottom and even on the side I have encountered with machines that were really ****ed up.

However, the top not clicking in either has never happened before, or ever been a problem that I had to seek a solution for. Not on machines thrown out of car windows, or used as shields, or stepped on...

Definitely complain, but be prepared for them to tell you that it'll take time to fix, and that they'll need the machine during this time.

8. cubeeggs thread starter macrumors member

I just took my computer in to Capitol Macintosh. They agreed that the bezel was not right and said that it needed to be replaced, but they are not allowed to order a new one under warranty without an exception code. Now I have to call Apple and mail it in.

9. cubeeggs thread starter macrumors member

I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and was told my computer was out of warranty, but the support guy I talked to previously said I could get phone support under the 90-day repair warranty, so I was able to arrange another mail-in repair. Hopefully this will turn out well…

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Best of luck, keep us posted when you get it back!!

11. cubeeggs thread starter macrumors member

I’m wondering if maybe the person who previously repaired my MacBook wasn’t very experienced and damaged the inverter along with the bezel while removing the LCD and broke the Super Drive replacing the logic board, because that would explain why it was sent back with a warped bezel and two overtightened screws: the tech didn’t want to use more parts after replacing all the stuff they broke and didn’t know how tight the screws are supposed to be.

12. cubeeggs thread starter macrumors member

I got my MacBook back and Apple replaced the display bezel along with the optical cable again (“Won’t Accept Media”). They didn’t reinstall the OS, but the repair form says “Removing non-Apple software resolved an issue.”

The bezel is a lot better than it was before, but there is still a gap on the right:

http://imgur.com/knu3I.jpg