Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhangsp012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
My iPhone Xs max display changed from warm color to some blue tint when just slightly off angle. This happens for top-down view and left right. I spent a lot of time reading on a white background, it is definetly noticeable. The screen is so big that top part is slightly different tone to the bottom. Searching online found that most of max has this issue, does it bother you guys?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Does not bother me. I tend to look straight on when looking at my device. I have to turn mine pretty far to really get a color shift. My MAX handles this better than my 8+.

zhangsp012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Does not bother me. I tend to look straight on when looking at my device. I have to turn mine pretty far to really get a color shift. My MAX handles this better than my 8+.

You got good luck on yours. Mine starts to show just slightly off angle. Not significant but noticeable. It is worse on white background lower brightness without True Tone. With True Tone on, it seems to be less noticeable.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You got good luck on yours. Mine starts to show just slightly off angle. Not significant but noticeable. It is worse on white background lower brightness without True Tone. With True Tone on, it seems to be less noticeable.

Do not understand how the same phones with the same displays can act so differently. o_O

hojbjerg

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
The blue shift on my Xs was annoying enough where I returned it and got a Xr instead.

It is subjective but it was unacceptable to me for a $1,000 phone.

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018
The first time I compared the iPhone Xs to a iPhone 8, I immediately noticed the blue shift on the OLED, it was more annoying to me than when an LCD's brightness/saturation shifts off angle. It bothered me enough to be one of the deciding factors in choosing the Xr. However, if for some reason I ended up with the Xs instead of the Xr, I'm also very confident I would have gotten used to it.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
My iPhone XS doesn’t have a blue shift at all; check the images below, ignore the rainbow radiance though, it’s caused by Apple’s protective film I still have on.

Anyway these are hard to come by. But there are iPhone Xs, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max units with little to no blue shift, while some with the absolute worse.

9A5D3AA6-0F89-4BAB-85B0-B2D648E5E7DA.jpeg

Extreme tilt, no shift

2C0599E7-AEFB-4251-9244-90978E947F24.jpeg

Slight tilt, no shift

I can’t tolerate blue shift.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.