display: bootcamp MBA to bootcamp iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djdna2000, Oct 6, 2014.

1. djdna2000 macrumors newbie

Hi all

there are already a bunch of threads about using iMac as an external display, but I haven't seen one for this particular configuration; can you use an iMac running win8 (bootcamp) as a slave display for a 2011 MBA also running win8/bootcamp?

I have a 2011 MBA running Win8 in bootcamp that goes everywhere with me as my work laptop. When at home I have a Dell 24" monitor connected via displayport cable to the thunderbolt port. I also have another windows laptop that never really leaves the house.

I would like to de-clutter by ditching my 'home' laptop and Dell screen and instead buying a 27" iMac for home, but then running windows on it in bootcamp. I'd also like to be able to use the iMac as a second display for the win8/bootcamp MBA (the windows laptop doesn't have thunderbolt or displayport so not much hope for that one I don't think).

Apple hardware is the best around but am not really interested in the OS, so this is my ideal config :)

2. aggri1 macrumors 6502

My understanding is that an iMac will only work as an external display while running Mac OS X. Therefore, you'd have to reboot it from Windows into Mac OS X when you want to use it as a display.