Display brightness changes. Is it normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by serega, Dec 11, 2008.

1. serega macrumors regular

On my new MB display sometimes gradually getting dimmer and then brighter every few seconds even when I use it. It looks like it happened on battery power but on fully charged. I did not see this on my IMac. Does anybody have that? Is it suppose to be that way?

2. manuel.mx macrumors member

isnt the ambient sensor? Have you checked the settings of it?

3. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

its a setting in system prefs -> displays -> Auto adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

it annoyed me too at first, i just had to turn it off

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I turned it off on the macbook and my iphone!
    only i choose the brightness of my displays! ;)

5. serega thread starter macrumors regular

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

isnt it "Automatically reduce the brightness… before sleep" in Energy Saver preferences? this is the annoying setting as it dims the display instantly before sleep and then pressing a key or touching the mouse will brighten it again.

the ambient light sensor will gradually dim/brighten the display to suit your background rather than instant dimming.

7. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Nope, its definatly what SelfMadeCelo described, i turned mine off, as the tv was causing my mb screen to change all the time when in the livingroom in the evening.

8. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Had the same problem - either the TV would cause it to change, or when family members switched lamps on/off. Annoyed me until I turned it off. :)

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I just noticed this yesterday when I was using my new MB in my living room. Glad to have it explained; I was wondering if it was a display problem.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

wow did a google search and this came up, no wonder, makes sense! haha it was going crazy on me and I was like wtf.. so where's the sensor? Is it upper left w/ the small holes

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

On the Macbook the sensor is the iSight camera, or at least it's in the same place as the iSight. Try passing your hand over it. It's different on the MB Pro, but I'm not sure where.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The unibody has the sensor next to the isight, regardless if its a macbook (pro) or (air). The older generation macbook pro's sensors are in the speaker grills (both left and right).

13. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

this happened to me last weekend. i didnt know it had an auto dimmer. sitting there using it and its like hmm a little to dark for some reason. so i reach up and tilt the screen back (covering the isite) all of a sudden it was like someone hammered my brightness all the way up. im like ok thats good i let go then it turned back down. its like wtf! now its too dim again. im not to bright myself so haha. yea anyway enjoy your mac

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Oh yeah, it looks like it's just to the left of the iSight.